Winter is coming...

Options
Sorry, couldn't resist. We have to get through fall first, but I like to plan ahead. What type of clothing does everyone where outdoors when they run in the fall/winter? I want to keep running outside as much as possible. I hate using stationary machines. Not a huge fan of working out inside the house. I would like to start shopping for my winter run gear.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Depends on the weather that day, mid 40's I'll go with a pair of shorts and a hoodie (my wife thinks I'm insane) drops in to the 30's and I'll add pants, snowing I'll add a beanie. In the 20's or high teens I'll add a long sleeve layer under the hoodie. If it's below that I don't run, I'll be sitting by the fire or out in the coyote stand, maybe on the lake. No sense running in single digit weather or below.

ETA: I never double up on socks, but sometimes I switch to wool, and I always keep a handwarmer in my hoodie pouch.

Rigger
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If it gets below 20 I will probably stay indoors too! I might wear pants in the 40s, but maybe the run will cause me to be hot enough to want pants! You just wear a regular cotton hoodie? No special athletic wear?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Depends on how cold. If it's 40 or below I have lined compression pants, usually a cold gear under armour compression shirt, possibly a vest and a headband that covers my ears. I don't go out below 30 - that's what the gym is for.

By the way, get out of here with that "Winter is coming" stuff! :)
  • Juanwi
    Options
    Haha! I know, winter is my least favorite time of the year! We do have a local gym with an indoor track, but it is pretty small. I might have to look into it though.

I don't really do well with the cold, so I want to make sure I'm not freezing when I go out running. Plus, one of my favorite aspects of running is buying clothes and shoes, lol.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have compression running pants and wear a long sleeve cotton t-shirt and/or light jacket. 40 F is about my limit too. Any colder and it's just a bit too uncomfortable. I keep workout DVDs at home and sometimes get a day pass to one of the local gyms (my regular gym is at work with is a 45 minute drive from home) during the winter months to get me through.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With the right clothing you can run all year 'round. The only thing guaranteed to keep me indoors is freezing rain.

The key lies in layering properly and dressing as if it's 10 to 20 degrees warmer that it is (so you don't overheat).

For really cold days (and it gets down to -40 here + windchill) I'll wear a merino wool base layer (wicking, light & very warm) under a longsleeve running shirt with a fleece layer topped off with a wind resistant running jackets. Winter weight tights are handy, and a toque is necessary.

The hardest thing for me was finding gloves that were warm enough without being too heavy (I found ski gloves too hot)

Takes a bit of trial and error but you can run in any weather with the right gear.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's above 50, I'm fine in shorts or capris and short sleeves. Between 40-50, I prefer long sleeves, but will still wear capris. Below 40, I add a windbreaker or track jacket or sweatshirt, and long pants and gloves. Below 30, a hat and a warmer layer on top (maybe a t-shirt, sweatshirt, then the windbreaker, or a long sleeved tee and a sweatshirt). Below 20, a scarf or something to cover my nose/mouth.

Below 10, I have to be really desperate, but I've done it. Once I get moving, I don't feel the cold.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/Your-Guide-to-Winter-Running-Gear?page=1

I do all of that ^^^ except I've never had a need for a face mask or the goggles...
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In winter, I run in a pair of shorts and a long sleeved shirt. I live in Southern California so I am very spoiled when it comes to 'winter' weather.
  • Juanwi
    Options
    Thanks all! This gives me an idea of what to look for when I'm shopping. I live in Missouri, so it may not get that cold or it might be crazy cold. I will keep the 10+ warmer in mind.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The same thing I am running in now.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thought this was GoT related. *sad face*
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a Game of Thrones thread :grumble:
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Boo misleading title
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a Game of Thrones thread.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I totally was expecting a John Snow, you know nothing, Game of Thrones thread. Nice job punking all the fans.... :)
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I totally was expecting a John Snow, you know nothing, Game of Thrones thread. Nice job punking all the fans.... :)

This
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I start adding layers as it gets cooler:

Summer: capri tights and tank top
    then
    Capri tights and tshirt
    then
    Add vest
    then
    add long sleeved t with vest, gloves
    then
    capri with hoodie, gloves
    then finally, when it's REALLY cold
    cold weather tights, knee high socks, log sleeved T, hoodie, scarf, gloves

Cold weather tights are a miracle product, but they're too warm unless its <30degF

ETA: oh, and I run exclusively in waterproof trail shoes in the winter. They keep my feet completely dry even in deep snow.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Layers of wicking materials, and something to break the wind. I run outside down to -20C (approx -4F).

My local running store sells great light-weight items that kept me warm all winter. But there's nothing you can do to keep your eyelids warm, so I give up at -20.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I live in Phoenix, we wear shorts and tanks/t's all year round. Well, unless, like last winter, we get that one week in January where it's 30*. lol