ISO Protein Powder Packed Quiche / Egg Muffins

Options
I just bought some Vanilla quest protein powder and had a shake last night which was DELICIOUS. However, for mornings I do better with something not so sweet, so I was wondering if anybody had seen any recipes for a quiche or fritata or something utilizing the protein powder so I could enjoy something savory in the morning whilst still knocking out a good portion of my protein for the day early on. I've searched on Pinterest but haven't found anything as of yet :/

Replies

• lisazowy
    lisazowy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I posted a high protein breakfast this morning... you can scrap the grits... but using fish or shrimp rolled in a homemade breakfast sausage seasoning and added to a simple quiche recipe will be amazing! Allrecipes dot com has a 5 star recipe for quiche Loraine which is really good just take out the bacon and replace with the fish or shrimp.

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use these websites for protein powder recipes:

https://thebigmansworld.com/

http://proteinpow.com/

As far as a quiche that uses protein powder I've never seen that. Eggs on their own are rich in protein. If you're worried about calories try using egg white and whole egg recipe to cut down on calories. You could also add meat to it. Good luck :)
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Quest makes an unflavored protein powder that goes well in pretty much anything! Pancakes, oatmeal, any baked good really. I like adding the flavored powder to my oatmeal then adding some peanut butter for a savory aspect so it turns out like a chocolate peanut butter oatmeal which is delicious. I agree with not adding it to eggs that would be funky but eggs are great for protein on their own. If you are not dead set on powder Quest makes a blueberry muffin bar that is good and not overly sweet. I will have one of those for breakfast when I am in a rush. I am in the same boat where I can't have too sweet of a breakfast or I get a very upset stomach.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is putting powdering liquid egg whites and drinking it like a smoothie. She buys the pasteurized white by the carton and says it tastes good..

The thought makes me cringe!
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Quest makes an unflavored protein powder that goes well in pretty much anything! Pancakes, oatmeal, any baked good really.

I'll have to check out that powder for sure. I wasn't planning on adding it to eggs on their own, but was hoping more for like, an egg casserole/quiche type thing with cheddar cheese, cottage cheese for more protein, and spices etc where I could toss it in with everything else. I wonder if I could just add it in lieu of flour, or a partial substitution...I may experiment. I know people bake muffins with protein powder so why not egg casserole muffins? LOL! I just really want something that's going to pack A LOT of protein. My shake is worth 42g of protein so I want something that I can swap out and not lose protein on.

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    Quest makes an unflavored protein powder that goes well in pretty much anything! Pancakes, oatmeal, any baked good really.

I'll have to check out that powder for sure. I wasn't planning on adding it to eggs on their own, but was hoping more for like, an egg casserole/quiche type thing with cheddar cheese, cottage cheese for more protein, and spices etc where I could toss it in with everything else. I wonder if I could just add it in lieu of flour, or a partial substitution...I may experiment. I know people bake muffins with protein powder so why not egg casserole muffins? LOL! I just really want something that's going to pack A LOT of protein. My shake is worth 42g of protein so I want something that I can swap out and not lose protein on.

Just curious why do you need/want so much protein at breakfast? What is your daily goal?
  • southrnchic479
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just curious why do you need/want so much protein at breakfast? What is your daily goal?

Daily goal is 1269 calories, 127g of protein. Protein is always the hardest for me to fulfill without going over remaining calories or macros (79g of carbs / 49g of fat) so I figure if I get that out of the way in the morning I'll be better off. I've started planning my meals in advance on here so that I can get an idea of what I need to eat / how much etc. From doing that, I can see it really helps to have one big protein packed meal in my day (besides dinner) to be able to satisfy my macros +/-. I just can't seem to meet my protein goals by splitting it equally among all my meals (Usually 4, rarely 5).
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    edited January 2018
    Options
    gotcha. Are you more satiated by protein or do you just think you should have that much? Not trying to be snarky I just want to let you know that I weigh ~137 pounds and do well with a protein goal of 85 grams per day. If you feel fuller longer on protein then go for it but if you just think you should have that much because of a bro science myth then you are probably safe to lower it.

Edited for typos
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm more satiated with just yet. I know that when I was younger I put myself on a low carb diet (I say that loosely - I was about 13 and heard my mom's friend talking about the Atkins diet. I realized we ate a lot of bread in our house so I cut that out) and I lost a lot of weight. So I thought I'd readjust my macros to low carb and go from there. I WAS going to try going keto but then decided I better choose something that's a little more manageable for myself and easy to work around when feeding the fam. I'm almost always hungry/munchy lol so I'm going to have to retrain myself to know when I'm hungry so I can figure out what satisfies me most.
  • MrsN0522
    MrsN0522 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm more satiated with just yet. I know that when I was younger I put myself on a low carb diet (I say that loosely - I was about 13 and heard my mom's friend talking about the Atkins diet. I realized we ate a lot of bread in our house so I cut that out) and I lost a lot of weight. So I thought I'd readjust my macros to low carb and go from there. I WAS going to try going keto but then decided I better choose something that's a little more manageable for myself and easy to work around when feeding the fam. I'm almost always hungry/munchy lol so I'm going to have to retrain myself to know when I'm hungry so I can figure out what satisfies me most.

I had always believed in the power of high protein diets and had a protein goal similar to yours - until I did the 10 day Advocare cleanse right the holidays. It focuses more on low carb/low sugar/high fiber, and it made a huge difference in how satiated I felt throughout the day. I'm no expert, but I've found that I don't need as much protein as I thought I did to feel satisfied if I'm eating foods that are high in fiber. Go to's that fit into my macros were raspberries, blackberries, pears, avocados, etc. Whole-wheat pastas, oatmeal and bran flakes are also high in fiber but they didn't always play nice with my carb goals.

I fell off the wagon big time between a cruise we took and the holidays and am just now getting back to a good routine, but that's definitely the approach I'm taking this time. Good luck!