Started jogging --- and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• Seattlegirl25
    Seattlegirl25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking calories?

Six months.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Also do you measure yourself? in the beginning youll lose size before weight (generally) your post routine could definitely be improved upon but is a good start :) my diary is public if you want to add me getting ideas may help
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Six months with no change in weight?
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Could you open up your diary so maybe other users could see, for example, if you’re logging something frequently that is an incorrect entry?
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments, but honestly if we could keep this focused on exercise that would be great.

Well I should restate that. I did lose about 8lbs a few month back (May/June?) after getting off some antidepressants. Gained it back in two weeks while in Nepal despite walking for 4-5 hours and eating lentils.
    *shrugs*

My doctor will be testing me for a few things. Thank god my thyroid is normal. But we still need to look at other hormones.

Lentils can still pack a lot of calories if you eat too much. Do you weigh your food on a food scale OP?
  • Seattlegirl25
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your comments, but honestly if we could keep this focused on exercise that would be great.

Well I should restate that. I did lose about 8lbs a few month back (May/June?) after getting off some antidepressants. Gained it back in two weeks while in Nepal despite walking for 4-5 hours and eating lentils.
    *shrugs*

My doctor will be testing me for a few things. Thank god my thyroid is normal. But we still need to look at other hormones.

Lentils can still pack a lot of calories if you eat too much. Do you weigh your food on a food scale OP?

Yup. I said this earlier.
  • Seattlegirl25
    Options
    2lbs a month is still progress, you haven't had any in 6 months despite working out and logging which leads a lot of us to think the issue is more than likely your food diary entries.

Yea. Everyone does. *shrug*
    Honestly, I do take things on here with a huge grain of salt. Everyone believes they are a nutritionist and dietician. And thats not to attack anyone, but more of, this is the internet. You can only see snapshots of my life and make calls on that and vice-versa.
    I am tired of this *kitten* (weight not coming off). But for years I have told doctors I've had *kitten* metabolism and they all chuckled and rolled their eyes. Now with this test they are pausing a bit.
    I've had personal trainers.
    Low carb
    High intensity work outs
    nutritionists

I mean you name it, I've done it. I'm sick of people just thinking I am gorging on cookies. But I've come to expect that people don't believe me.

Anyway... sorry for the rant. I'm tired and cranky.

Seattlegirl25 I feel your frustration, I was in your same boat. Exercising like mad, eating right and still my weight would barely budge. It all came down to realizing that I was still eating at maintenance to meet the needs of my body. Please know that no one is trying to attack you, we all want you to succeed. Take the database I gave you, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list, and look up everything you eat, weigh it on a food scale and log them in MFP. I can assure you, you'll see changes.

Been weighing my food. Weight loss-- 0.
  • Seattlegirl25
    Options
    2lbs a month is still progress, you haven't had any in 6 months despite working out and logging which leads a lot of us to think the issue is more than likely your food diary entries.

Yea. Everyone does. *shrug*
    Honestly, I do take things on here with a huge grain of salt. Everyone believes they are a nutritionist and dietician. And thats not to attack anyone, but more of, this is the internet. You can only see snapshots of my life and make calls on that and vice-versa.
    I am tired of this *kitten* (weight not coming off). But for years I have told doctors I've had *kitten* metabolism and they all chuckled and rolled their eyes. Now with this test they are pausing a bit.
    I've had personal trainers.
    Low carb
    High intensity work outs
    nutritionists

I mean you name it, I've done it. I'm sick of people just thinking I am gorging on cookies. But I've come to expect that people don't believe me.

Anyway... sorry for the rant. I'm tired and cranky.
    You asked for help. We try to help, even if we don't have to, and don't get paid. You don't have to listen to any advice. But if what you're doing now, isn't working, it could be useful to check out if you've overlooked something. You could buckle down and stick to a calorie deficit. No diets, no trainers, no nutritionists. Just set your calorie target to 1200 - this is the absolute minimum MFP will go, but it's also below your measured BMR, so it has to produce weight loss. Nobody thinks you are gorging on cookies. Just a small surplus of calories, daily, but over time, is enough to gain considerable weight. But this also means that just a small deficit, over time, is enough to lose considerable weight.

Challenging you beliefs is harder than any physical exercise, and way more important and useful.

Thanks for the pep talk.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,
    It would still be very helpful if you could tell us how you are measuring the calories you are eating (e.g. measuring cups, weighing in grams, using packaging information) and how long you've done that for. Then you might get some more tailored advice to help see if you are achieving the deficit you need.

Regarding exercise, when I started a new routine I had a little over two weeks of gaining (water) weight before it normalised, so you might see some changes in a couple of weeks.