Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rlg5150 wrote: »
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    wow, some BS keto advise in here. "eat more fat, and then eat more fat." or "eat as much bacon as you want." < that is 100% pure nonsense and horrible advise to give someone. The ketogenic diet is not some magically diet. You do NOT magically lose weight because you switch to keto. It's all about caloric deficit. I've seen many people get fat as *kitten* cause they thought they could eat as much fat as they wanted too.

Let's drop the buzzword and talk about what's actually happening. Eating very low carbohydrates causes your body to burn dietary fat as its main fuel source. You eat smaller, high fat meals with little to no carbs so that you do not increase your blood sugar. This makes it so that you eat fewer times per day, less calories at each meal, and never really feel hungry.

That's a lot different than taking a regular diet and just eating fewer carbs. That sort of diet will keep your body burning glucose for fuel and you'll feel miserable, hungry and crash soon gaining all the weight back.

No one promotes the idea that you can physically eat as much as you want and lose weight with Keto. What they are explaining to you is that you feel like you can eat whatever you want, and it's still hard to even hit your daily goal of calories.

I went on a "regular diet" and ate fewer carbohydrates (that is, I reduced the amount of everything I ate so I was eating fewer carbohydrates than before) and I didn't suffer any of those things (feeling miserable, excessive hunger, crashing and gaining the weight back). This seems like a vast over-simplification. The truth is that, for some people, eating fewer calories is an effective and sustainable way to lose weight. Keto isn't the only path to avoiding misery and regaining.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tried Keto once when I was trying to cut some fat (like 4-5kg) I found it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my calorie limit! I was so hungry and miserable all the time!

My diet was something like a butter coffee pre workout (my workouts sucked as well) eggs after the gym, lunch would be chicken thighs cooked in butter and greens, dinner would be steak and greens and a tiny handful of nuts after dinner. The portion sizes were tiny and not filling at all for me and even though I was eating a lot of fat.
    I would often end up binging on carbs on the weekend and throwing myself out of a deficit. It also made me feel kind of depressed? I have never felt this way when cutting on a normal macro split.

It may not have worked well for me due to being of healthy weight and active, also I’ve heard it can not work as well for women.

Just my two cents!
  • Tinkachu
    Tinkachu Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    rlg5150 wrote: »
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    wow, some BS keto advise in here. "eat more fat, and then eat more fat." or "eat as much bacon as you want." < that is 100% pure nonsense and horrible advise to give someone. The ketogenic diet is not some magically diet. You do NOT magically lose weight because you switch to keto. It's all about caloric deficit. I've seen many people get fat as *kitten* cause they thought they could eat as much fat as they wanted too.

Let's drop the buzzword and talk about what's actually happening. Eating very low carbohydrates causes your body to burn dietary fat as its main fuel source. You eat smaller, high fat meals with little to no carbs so that you do not increase your blood sugar. This makes it so that you eat fewer times per day, less calories at each meal, and never really feel hungry.

That's a lot different than taking a regular diet and just eating fewer carbs. That sort of diet will keep your body burning glucose for fuel and you'll feel miserable, hungry and crash soon gaining all the weight back.

No one promotes the idea that you can physically eat as much as you want and lose weight with Keto. What they are explaining to you is that you feel like you can eat whatever you want, and it's still hard to even hit your daily goal of calories.

I'm eating a calorie deficit of whatever I want and I feel way better than when I ate keto. Certainly not crashing on glucose, lol. Heck I had a pancake breakfast with walden farms syrup a couple hours ago and I feel fine. I do eat a lot of protein and fats most days, but I also eat a lot of carbs and I don't feel cruddy from it. In fact I have a lot of energy and I don't get hungry often.

Eating keto for months made me crave carbs and sweets like crazy. It was depressing. I wasn't hungry, but I felt very deprived.