How did you get into weight training? Video recommendations wanted.

Please read the post before commenting. Specific request. :)

I've always wanted to get into weight training. My strong-as-hell mom used to lift weights and tried to show me a few times but I never stuck with it long enough to feel any strength. I'm super weak right now, though, and my gym has free weights.

I'm starting with yoga and basic bodyweight exercises for overall tone and strength but would really like to focus on weight training in the coming months to tighten up and get a little stronger as I lose.

Not much wiggle room in the budget, otherwise I'd hire a trainer.

Are there any very clear how-to videos I can watch on my phone? I have pretty weak short-term memory so have to have active instructions. I've been looking for videos but they are either fitness lifestyle vlogs (useless except as entertainment) or are too abbreviated. Like, "do this exercise for 3 sets of 12 reps," but they only show it for 8 seconds, so I have to keep pausing my phone.

Tall order due to the specifics, I know. But any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Mark Rippetoe has some good stuff on youtube. I've seen others, but don't know the names/instructors off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in.

Ultimately, yes... there is some very good stuff out there for you. Stay tuned...
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks, jjpptt2. I will check him out!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    P90X3 is pretty good. you could skip the cardio days if you dont want a whole programme.
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    TavistockToad: I have insanity and P90X around here somewhere. I'm going to dig those out. Good call! Thank you. I never made it past the first week but I am determined. I appreciate the suggestion very much!

Also, generally to the thread, I've just started looking up "30 minute womens weight training" on YouTube and fell down something of a rabbit hole I wasn't able to find previously. Going to just try some of these out and see how it feels over time.

Feel free to post any specific favorites, though. Thanks!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i started with rippetoe, but lately i also like juggernaut training's stuff. i think it's chad wesley smith? the powerlifter who looks like a rodent of unusual size from the princess bride. he might look like a giant gerbil, but his content is good.

max aita is another. seen one on him tweaking mark bell's squat on the supertraining gym channel that was very lightbulb for me.

and chris duffin. those are my current three, i think.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    look into Jeff Cavaliere/Athleanx on youtube - he is THE man!
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    I'm learning strenght training as well and found the free app jefit. It has free workout plans with video illustrations on how to so each workout.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Try RBG WORKOUT. 82 year old Supreme Court justiice. Been trying, can't complete it -- yet!