How to overcome a plateau

Options
I've lost 50 pounds now I'm stuck at the same weight I even changed up my diet and exercise nothing is helping. Please give me your opinion

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    tvnz1ryhbdr8.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 50 pounds? How long has it been since you lost?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Has MFP adjusted your calories? You might have to recalibrate them manually.

Keep in mind that as you lose weight, your margin of error shrinks and you really have to be TIGHT on your logging
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your calories? It could be that now you’ve lost weight you’re no longer eating at a sufficient enough deficit to lose and are instead eating at maintenance. What worked for you 50lbs ago won’t necessarily work now - especially if you’re close to your end goal, so you probably need to tighten logging, reduce calories and/or increase activity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of NO WEIGHT MOVEMENT "if" one has been consistent with diet and exercise that 6 weeks. So if anything was different (IE. a party, drank alcohol if it's not part of your diet, ate foods you don't normally eat, etc.) then it's NOT a plateau because it's no longer consistent. You are in a STALL which is common with weight loss.
    If you're not losing now, it may be because you've body is adapting to your calories. So sometimes things like a "diet break" or an increase in intensity or duration of exercise helps.
    Read the above and see where you're at first. Make sure you're honest with your answers and that will most likely help you solve the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

img
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    When I'm not losing like I think I should, I always go back to my logging/tracking and make sure it's as consistent, complete, and accurate as I can get it. If I'm able to be honest with myself, pretty much all my stalls come down to sloppy logging.