Pop Sugar Workouts

Options
How do I track Pop Sugar workouts into MyFitnesspal? Some of the videos give a "calories burned"; however, we all know this is relative to gender, height, and weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Replies

• Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I use my fitbit. It depends on which workout you are doing. The 45 minutes cardio can burn 250-450. (It all depends on how overweight you are)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I have always just used a flat number for my exercise per hour.

Pick a number between 200-400 somewhere and use it for a while. If you are losing as expected, it's close enough. If not, adjust.

I just used several sources and took an average and it's worked fine. They are all guesses, more or less.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I just enter the calories given in the workout. It may not be tailored to me but is close enough. Considering that research has found that even a fitness tracker does a terrible job of estimating calorie burn, there's no point in trying to be exact. If you do it for a long time and find you are losing weight at the expected rate, it's a good estimate. If not, reconsider.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You guys are all so good! Since my Vivosmart HR died, I just log most of the more active workouts as "circuit training" from the MFP database - sometimes I will use "pilates" for the workouts that are not as cardio-intense. Like @cmriverside, I know its not accurate, but not wildly different from the kinds of numbers I'd get from the activity tracker.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Like others mentioned. I use my tracker (in my case Garmin vivosmart) I am always at the bottom end of their range, as I am short but I am finding their counts to be reasonable
    Mind you; I have a favourite exercise and one day I burn more than another - It also has to do how much effort I put in :wink:
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have always just used a flat number for my exercise per hour.

Pick a number between 200-400 somewhere and use it for a while. If you are losing as expected, it's close enough. If not, adjust.

I just used several sources and took an average and it's worked fine. They are all guesses, more or less.

^^This^^

Just use a consistent number for all workouts and adjust as necessary. I use a flat 100 cal per 10 minutes of exercise and I've had no problems so far (50lbs lost; in maintenance mode for 1year; 35 y/o male)
  • bratschesoup
    bratschesoup Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't own a tracker, but thanks for the insight. The workout said it burns 600 calories (60 minutes long). I usually don't worry about the calories burned, but 600 seemed a little high. Then again, burpees were involved, so maybe it was correct. I assumed "circuit training" would be appropriate. Anyway, thanks for the insight :smile: