Weight Watchers/other support groups

Options
Hello All,

I've been considering joining Weight Watchers in order to get a social support group. However, I don't actually want to use the Weight Watchers diet. At those meetings, are there ever any people participating for the support but following an alternate diet? In truth, I'm looking for something like an AA meeting but for dieters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people at a Weight Watchers meeting will be following the WW plan. Check to see if there is a TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) group in your area. From what I've heard about it, it's a general weight loss support group that doesn't make you follow any particular diet program and it's cheaper than WW.
  • abbefaria4
    abbefaria4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also there are places online like Proboards and even Facebook with groups you can join. Even online they help. I lost most of my weight With WW Online but left then the old message boards dissolved. I joined a group on proboards and that helped. Posting here helps, too. Find as many connections as you can and nurture them. They help.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I’ve just joined a support group here on mfp, it’s called going the distance and so far has a weigh in topic, recipes, exercise challenge etc.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I’m on WW and belong to Guys on a Diet (GoaD) here on MFP.
    It is a Support group of men and women who moved to MFP when WW closed their Community Bulletin Boards. Check it out.

Also I heard of Overeaters Annonamous (OA) it may be an alternative for you?
  • DulcimerRick
    DulcimerRick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jim, I was a member of the original GoaD board on WW a LONG time ago, when it was in it's infancy. I had no idea they'd closed their community boards!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Jim, I was a member of the original GoaD board on WW a LONG time ago, when it was in it's infancy. I had no idea they'd closed their community boards!

@DulcimerRick

I joined GoaD in 2013 and have stayed with it. WW Inc replaced Comm BBs with WW Connect, for WW members only. Sorts like FB for WWers ONLY.

SHendler @countcurt set up GoaD here and another guy has a GoaD page on FB GoaDies.org

You should visit MFP GoaD Group to see if you know any old timers like @Al_Howard
  • Emeraldreign
    Emeraldreign Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    abbefaria4 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I've been considering joining Weight Watchers in order to get a social support group. However, I don't actually want to use the Weight Watchers diet. At those meetings, are there ever any people participating for the support but following an alternate diet? In truth, I'm looking for something like an AA meeting but for dieters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Try over eaters anonymous
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wanted to join weight watchers too. Not for the diet, but for the support, meet some other people losing weight, get weighed and share success.

£6 a week though.. no thanks! Wish there were other groups in my area :(
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I joined WW for the group support which is amazing and the “third party scale” thingie. I know others who ALSO joined for the group support that do different other things to lose weight and don’t count Smartpoints necessarily...although MOST in the room do. I had over 100 lbs. to lose and NEEDED the group. Best choice I’ve ever made...investment in myself kind of thing. BUT...I also like counting calories on here and dig the switching back and forth when I get bored in the “how” I’m counting.
  • abbefaria4
    abbefaria4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses