First time jogging again after 6 months

Options
Just thought I'd share a bit of an achievement on here. So after being in a car accident and injuring myself, I'd been unable to continue running since last July. I don't consider myself a very good runner (my best 5k time was 25:03 and my best 10km time was 58:46) but I used to do it as a nice recreational activity to keep myself fit and maintain my weight.

During the last 6 months, due to my lack of exercise and more than likely a poor diet over those months, I had gained around 35 lbs and I could certainly feel my fitness had declined a bit.

Well, after making almost a full recovery, I decided to return to the gym today and gauge myself on the treadmill. I surprised myself because I was still able to do a 5km without any walking. Sure, it took me over 37 minutes but I feel really proud of myself for getting back into it today.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience where you had to stop doing something you liked and was finally able to return to it?

Replies

• Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. About 4-5 years ago I was in the shape of my life at 44. I was going to a personal trainer and in the shape of my life. I was doing all kinds of really cool stuff with the trainer - stuff I had never even thought of before. I ended up losing 30 pounds... and all without picking up one weight. It was all body weight stuff. My real goal when going to the trainer was to improve my strength and cardio for motocross. I was 44 and had a hard time keeping up with my fearless 19 year old son on the mx track. He could smoke me like a cheap pack of cigarettes. My trainer finally got me to where I had incredible endurance on the track, in fact I could stay out on the track longer than my 19 y/o son! I wasn’t quite as fast because, ...well when you’re 44 and have to make a living, you’re alot more careful when riding the track. Long story short, I had a pretty nasty wreck on the track and destroyed my tibia head/knee. Six screws in the tibia + knee surgery and 12 weeks non-weight bearing, took all of the progress away. Fast forward 3 years I gained all my weight back and lost all my cardio endurance and strength. I’ve been back at it hard for a year and I finally feel like I’m back where I left off strength & cardio-wise. Unfortunately I gave up motocross and sold the bike. But health wise I feel fantastic. You’ll get there! Keep at it!
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mike1804 wrote: »
    I can definitely relate. About 4-5 years ago I was in the shape of my life at 44. I was going to a personal trainer and in the shape of my life. I was doing all kinds of really cool stuff with the trainer - stuff I had never even thought of before. I ended up losing 30 pounds... and all without picking up one weight. It was all body weight stuff. My real goal when going to the trainer was to improve my strength and cardio for motocross. I was 44 and had a hard time keeping up with my fearless 19 year old son on the mx track. He could smoke me like a cheap pack of cigarettes. My trainer finally got me to where I had incredible endurance on the track, in fact I could stay out on the track longer than my 19 y/o son! I wasn’t quite as fast because, ...well when you’re 44 and have to make a living, you’re alot more careful when riding the track. Long story short, I had a pretty nasty wreck on the track and destroyed my tibia head/knee. Six screws in the tibia + knee surgery and 12 weeks non-weight bearing, took all of the progress away. Fast forward 3 years I gained all my weight back and lost all my cardio endurance and strength. I’ve been back at it hard for a year and I finally feel like I’m back where I left off strength & cardio-wise. Unfortunately I gave up motocross and sold the bike. But health wise I feel fantastic. You’ll get there! Keep at it!

That's awesome man :) It's nice to hear a happy ending after a lot of hard work being put in. I do plan on keeping at it again.