Keto Keto Keto!!

Options

Replies

• lavachickie
    lavachickie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am doing keto and I enjoy it, my weakness (or so I thought) was sugar and bread, I had a break over the holidays and I back on it with no cravings, I actually enjoy this diet.

Yep, me too. It doesn't take long to break my sugar addiction, but when I do I notice a HUGE difference. I started keto (again) a little over a week ago. By day 3 I was feeling fantastic, and not even really caring about food.

(I say keto again as I've done keto off and on for years, while lifting also. It was key in losing 70 lbs that I've kept off for six years.)
  • CarbsAndCoffee41
    CarbsAndCoffee41 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just started keto 2 days ago. So far so good. I’m hoping someone here has good recipes. I am hoping to lose 20 lbs before June.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with keto--and this comes from someone who does not eat that way. That said i do agree with Tom that learning to eat as you intend to continue is an important aspect in my opinion.

Back in the dark ages before keto there was this famous not keto but keto called Atkins :wink: A lot of people lost weight on Atkins (as they do on keto) however all the ones I personally knew who did (and I knew a LOT) did regain it immediately. BUT. There IS a BUT.

A common issue was that every single one of these people who lost weight on keto not keto but Atkins was totally discouraged by the weight gains "cheat days or meals" would bring about. And once they switched out of ketosis it became an "i'll get back on this tomorrow" thing. With tomorrow coming tomorrow and then again tomorrow, and eventually only coming after full regain with friends.

This led me to two things. One: pick options and methods that have a low barriers to RE-ENTRY once stopped for whichever reason. The easier it is to re-start the more likely that's to happen. Easy re-entry for "primary exercise" (hence walking). Easy re-entry to controlling calories. So in my case no named diets.

And TWO: to try and inform and remind people that the initial large loss when starting keto is BORROWED. It is not a real loss. It is glycogen depletion and associated water. And that loss WILL come back every time you replenish your glycogen after you've consumed carbs. It is NOT FAT. It is water weight manipulation and does not affect the success of your weight loss. So the 5 lbs you lose by day 3 and the 5lbs you regain when you eat birthday cake are a net zero that will balance in and out every time you deplete and replenish glycogen. it can and SHOULD be ignored and should not shape your feelings of success or failure.

Having said all that. I've noticed that when I'm losing weight I tend to drop carbs by about 10%. But this comes "naturally" from trying to make more satiating choices instead of consuming "frivolous" high calorie tasty goodies. Of course a drop from the 55% range to the 45% range does not make keto (or Atkins, or anything else)! But this is me!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yeah, the 45% range for carbs was in the pre obesity era, actually around 42% I believe and I don't think we'll ever see those numbers recommended unless people take it upon themselves. It's almost a given that anytime a thread comes up about "precious" that the Tifosi show up, funny really. Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    Macros are better reported in grams rather than percentages.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Long term compliance is just that, not immediate, and like most solution in life when no immediate benefit is realized, why change at all. Hopefully people can make better choices in the future and hopefully slow or even reverse the trend for declining health that is so very much tied to our food choices. imo. Cheers
  • Lightbeamer
    Lightbeamer Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    PAV8888, I agree with you to a limited extent. The goals are meant to be difficult in Keto. That’s what needs to be done. Yes, you may hit your goal weight quickly, emphasis on quickly, but after that, work on finding out your ‘balance’. Some people go overboard and stay at the beginning, under 20g carbs. Keto induction is meant to be short term. My doc, and dietician have both told me that it’s difficult, because you need to stay under 20g for the rest of your life, which is not true.

I am doing keto, not only for weight loss, but to reacquaint myself with some way to understand myself. And also to understand my relationship to food. A LFHC diet cannot for me. I lost 100 pounds on that type of diet. It took a year. However, I did not learn my relationship with food, I lost the weight, and had all the excitement that got me there, but I gained it back, without understanding the relationship between myself and food. All I did was focus on weight loss.

I plan on writing in a journal each night, talking to myself about my ‘relationship’ with food. It’ll be difficult after induction, but I will never go on a LFHC diet again. I chewed out my ex wife for 4 months straight, because of the kcal restriction, in which I dropped from 2400 kcal per day to 1550 kcal a day. All I could think about was food. Never again will I starve myself.

I will start on Saturday, after a day full of cooking.

Let me know what you both think!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    PAV8888, I agree with you to a limited extent. The goals are meant to be difficult in Keto. That’s what needs to be done. Yes, you may hit your goal weight quickly, emphasis on quickly, but after that, work on finding out your ‘balance’. Some people go overboard and stay at the beginning, under 20g carbs. Keto induction is meant to be short term. My doc, and dietician have both told me that it’s difficult, because you need to stay under 20g for the rest of your life, which is not true.

I am doing keto, not only for weight loss, but to reacquaint myself with some way to understand myself. And also to understand my relationship to food. A LFHC diet cannot for me. I lost 100 pounds on that type of diet. It took a year. However, I did not learn my relationship with food, I lost the weight, and had all the excitement that got me there, but I gained it back, without understanding the relationship between myself and food. All I did was focus on weight loss.

I plan on writing in a journal each night, talking to myself about my ‘relationship’ with food. It’ll be difficult after induction, but I will never go on a LFHC diet again. I chewed out my ex wife for 4 months straight, because of the kcal restriction, in which I dropped from 2400 kcal per day to 1550 kcal a day. All I could think about was food. Never again will I starve myself.

Sorry, I have a quick question, just trying to understand. Aren’t your calories the same on LFHC and LCHF? I thought you still had to watch your calories on keto? Also, if you’re getting the recommended protein and fat, wouldn’t that keep you from feeling starving? Maybe I don’t understand correctly?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

Sorry, I have a quick question, just trying to understand. Aren’t your calories the same on LFHC and LCHF? I thought you still had to watch your calories on keto? Also, if you’re getting the recommended protein and fat, wouldn’t that keep you from feeling starving? Maybe I don’t understand correctly?

Yes, you are correct. Though many keto advocates sell the idea you can eat as much as you want, the reality is you still have to be limiting calories. I could easily gain weight on keto, because I'm fully capable of downing a pound of ribeye steak in one sitting. Same with porkchops, ribs, brisket, etc.
  • Junthe
    Junthe Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi, i've on HFLC or Keto for the past 3 weeks. For me, it the higher fat content way of eating leaves me satisfied at meal times that l dont consume anywhere near my TDEE for my height and weight, hence lm burning my fat stores. Naturally, lm fasting. In other words, my body feels safe enough to lose what its been holding on to because it is satisfied.
    This is my take on this way of eating, and lve been on loads of unsatisfying, hunger stimulating way of eating in my life time.
    We all have different ways of FEELING and it to how your body feels on certain foods/macros ratios.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Yes, you are correct. Though many keto advocates sell the idea you can eat as much as you want, the reality is you still have to be limiting calories. I could easily gain weight on keto, because I'm fully capable of downing a pound of ribeye steak in one sitting. Same with porkchops, ribs, brisket , etc.

Preach!!!

• ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Junthe wrote: »
    Hi, i've on HFLC or Keto for the past 3 weeks. For me, it the higher fat content way of eating leaves me satisfied at meal times that l dont consume anywhere near my TDEE for my height and weight, hence lm burning my fat stores. Naturally, lm fasting. In other words, my body feels safe enough to lose what its been holding on to because it is satisfied.
    This is my take on this way of eating, and lve been on loads of unsatisfying, hunger stimulating way of eating in my life time.
    We all have different ways of FEELING and it to how your body feels on certain foods/macros ratios.

The previous person didn’t respond to my question, can I ask you instead? I asked them “if you’re getting the recommended protein and fat, wouldn’t that keep you from feeling starving?”.

What was your daily fat and protein intake and how did you track it?

I’m trying to understand why keto has a benefit in losing weight and feeling satiated if the cals are the same and you make sure to have the fat and protein requirements?. Maybe you have some insight? Thanks in advance 😊
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Yes, you are correct. Though many keto advocates sell the idea you can eat as much as you want, the reality is you still have to be limiting calories. I could easily gain weight on keto, because I'm fully capable of downing a pound of ribeye steak in one sitting. Same with porkchops, ribs, brisket, etc.

No, you are not correct. This is where the Keto (and low-carb) naysayers pound the table and say, "But it is all about calories-in vs calories-out!" Eating the recommended protein and fat each day means the rest of the daily energy need is met by consuming carbohydrates. A lot of carbohydrates. Even if the carbs are of the "healthy" variety (think oatmeal, whole grain bread, pasta, beans, bananas), those unfortunates that suffer carb intolerance/insulin resistance will experience an intense (for me, uncontrollable) need for more food. To me, this need feels almost exactly like intense starvation.

What good does it do anyone to struggle to limit calories if they are constantly finding themselves in a Dante like circle of Hades of hunger? Wouldn't it be much better to not feel the need for more food in the first place? That is the advantage of going Keto/low carb -> the constant intense, hunger like need goes away for those who experience that need even if they only eat the recommended healthy carbs. The danger of going Keto/low carb -> a temporary, almost magical diet to drop pounds very quickly to reach a short term goal, is that it results in weight regain and yo-yo dieting that is very frustrating. So much so that more weight is regained than what was loss in the the first place.

Keto influencers sell the idea that you can eat as much red meat as you want because they are trying to keep you coming back to their service, buy their diet books, and watch their YouTube channel. Keto/low carb advocates want to share the knowledge that changing your forever way of eating less carbs by consuming more healthy fats, fiber and protein really works.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

No, you are not correct. This is where the Keto (and low-carb) naysayers pound the table and say, "But it is all about calories-in vs calories-out!" Eating the recommended protein and fat each day means the rest of the daily energy need is met by consuming carbohydrates. A lot of carbohydrates. Even if the carbs are of the "healthy" variety (think oatmeal, whole grain bread, pasta, beans, bananas), those unfortunates that suffer carb intolerance/insulin resistance will experience an intense (for me, uncontrollable) need for more food. To me, this need feels almost exactly like intense starvation.

What good does it do anyone to struggle to limit calories if they are constantly finding themselves in a Dante like circle of Hades of hunger? Wouldn't it be much better to not feel the need for more food in the first place? That is the advantage of going Keto/low carb -> the constant intense, hunger like need goes away for those who experience that need even if they only eat the recommended healthy carbs. The danger of going Keto/low carb -> a temporary, almost magical diet to drop pounds very quickly to reach a short term goal, is that it results in weight regain and yo-yo dieting that is very frustrating. So much so that more weight is regained than what was loss in the the first place.

Keto influencers sell the idea that you can eat as much red meat as you want because they are trying to keep you coming back to their service, buy their diet books, and watch their YouTube channel. Keto/low carb advocates want to share the knowledge that changing your forever way of eating less carbs by consuming more healthy fats, fiber and protein really works.

Hi there! I was the one who asked you the question although you didn’t respond to me (which is okay). Thanks for your response! How did you track your fat and protein and calories during this time eating a “normal diet” for a lack of a better word? Were you diagnosed with anything by a doctor or is this personal experience with eating carbs that you feel out of control? Sorry for all the questions. I’ve never done Keto and I just want to understand the facts, I only do IF for calorie control.

ETA: I just looked this up but it says UP TO 2 gm/kg of protein and 30% of your calories from Fat. Where does that put your protein intake and fat intake in relation to carbs? Did you try this amount and if so were you still starving? I looked at mine just now and it puts my carbs at just 110g per day using that calculation, just enough for plenty of veggies. Do you have to cut out veggies on a Keto diet?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

You didn't even bother to read what I wrote. Nor what the original poster wrote. I will not be looking at responses and will no longer answer. Have a good day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’ve never done Keto and I just want to understand the facts, I only do IF for calorie control. ETA: I just looked this up but it says UP TO 2 gm/kg of protein and 30% of your calories from Fat. Where does that put your protein intake and fat intake in relation to carbs? Did you try this amount and if so were you still starving? I looked at mine just now and it puts my carbs at just 110g per day using that calculation, just enough for plenty of veggies. Do you have to cut out veggies on a Keto diet?

Information on keto is around. You don't have to cut out ALL veggies; but you will have to make fairly careful veggie choices to not pile on the carbs. Or at the least concentrate on known keto friendly veggies.

The amount of carbs in grams that you can consume while starting out on keto may be slightly lower than the amount you will be able to continue to eat longer term without leaving keto.

Also your individual tolerance for carbs while on keto will vary based on your individual make-up and also (quite probably) on the amount of activity and exercise you engage in and the timing of such in relation to the carb intake. To get what I'm talking about think along the lines of drinking a 4g sugar cube dissolved in 114ml of water two minutes into an hour long run.... the 4g of carbs won't be hanging around long enough to affect your keto state.

That said, and depending on your total calories, while 100g or less may be LOWER carb; I don't think that there's many people who can stay in ketosis while consuming much more than 60g of carbs a day.

ETA: A quick google says about 50g a day to stay in ketosis, and that there are different "official" types of keto. Frankly I am not sure why we would care exactly how one manages to turn their pee strip purple? If it's purple whatever you're doing is working and should be good 'nuff. :shrug:

And do remember that the initial carb depletion is a BORROWED loss that comes back every time carbs increase again. It is NOT fat loss. Don't be disappointed and despair. But also don't expect to have your keto and eat cake blocks of dehydrated guava puree too!*

*I am not talking about keto cake. Or eating cake dehydrated guava puree on the run, m'ok?
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I’ve never done Keto and I just want to understand the facts, I only do IF for calorie control. ETA: I just looked this up but it says UP TO 2 gm/kg of protein and 30% of your calories from Fat. Where does that put your protein intake and fat intake in relation to carbs? Did you try this amount and if so were you still starving? I looked at mine just now and it puts my carbs at just 110g per day using that calculation, just enough for plenty of veggies. Do you have to cut out veggies on a Keto diet?

Information on keto is around. You don't have to cut out ALL veggies; but you will have to make fairly careful veggie choices to not pile on the carbs. Or at the least concentrate on known keto friendly veggies.

The amount of carbs in grams that you can consume while starting out on keto may be slightly lower than the amount you will be able to continue to eat longer term without leaving keto.

Also your individual tolerance for carbs while on keto will vary based on your individual make-up and also (quite probably) on the amount of activity and exercise you engage in and the timing of such in relation to the carb intake. To get what I'm talking about think along the lines of drinking a 4g sugar cube dissolved in 114ml of water two minutes into an hour long run.... the 4g of carbs won't be hanging around long enough to affect your keto state.

That said, and depending on your total calories, while 100g or less may be LOWER carb; I don't think that there's many people who can stay in ketosis while consuming much more than 60g of carbs a day.

ETA: A quick google says about 50g a day to stay in ketosis, and that there are different "official" types of keto. Frankly I am not sure why we would care exactly how one manages to turn their pee strip purple? If it's purple whatever you're doing is working and should be good 'nuff. :shrug:

And do remember that the initial carb depletion is a BORROWED loss that comes back every time carbs increase again. It is NOT fat loss. Don't be disappointed and despair. But also don't expect to have your keto and eat cake blocks of dehydrated guava puree too!*

*I am not talking about keto cake. Or eating cake dehydrated guava puree on the run, m'ok?

Thanks so much for your response, I enjoyed it a lot! And as you mentioned, there’s many “official” styles of keto so it wasn’t quite connecting for me 100% when I researched it. The Keto diet I saw the most was “eat 5%-10% carbs via veggies”. That could be up to 210g for a large man. I was like, Nice! Well, that’s basically the same thing as people eating an “ordinary” diet, right?

How does one know “normal dieting” doesn’t work if you’ve never tracked your “up to” 2g/kg protein + 30% fat + veggies/carbs? I’m kind of stuck here.

There’s 2 Keto questions that perplex me

1. Why does it matter if you’re in ketosis if you’re satiated and in a calorie deficit? (This applies to weight loss only)?

2. Why cut out something you enjoy if you follow the recommended macros stated above and get results? Have you tried and tracked it to know whether you will still feel starving?

A lot of dieters feel like something is wrong with them when really they have a totally normal macro variance as much as everyone else 🙁

I just don’t know if most people are as weird as they think they are that they need such extremes. Maybe I’m wrong? I probably am, I know I have a lot to learn, but that’s why I ask for concrete examples.

I don’t think I’ll hear from the 2 people I asked the same questions from, and that’s totally okay!, but I do appreciate you responding with your feedback, Pavv! You’re probably tired of these types of questions haha! So forgive me for the redundant type of post.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Here’s the resource for that % I included

vnovwa4wmn2f.jpeg