What to Eat Before and After Cardio?

Options
What is recommended to eat before a hard workout like indoor cycling, and what else except protein afterward?

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a long vigorous cardio workout lasting for hours, I wouldn't say it's extremely important. I tend to only eat a couple of the belvita breakfast biscuits because I know I don't get hungry while running after I've ate them and they don't feel heavy on my stomach (I can digest them easily while working out without feeling sick). Whatever works for you I guess.

Afterwards, since your liver will use up blood glucose to replace any glycogen used during the workout, you may feel like you're craving carbs which is fine. I just drink something sugary afterwards and eat a snack or eat dinner etc. I honestly don't think it's too important on the timing so long as you're fueling yourself properly throughout the day as well.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Fatfurie wrote: »
    What is recommended to eat before a hard workout like indoor cycling, and what else except protein afterward?

Like ... a spinning class?

Before the spinning classes I went to this past winter, I ate a granola bar.
    After, I went home and ate dinner. Just my usual dinner.

In the cycling world, the general recommendation is ...

Under 2 hours, you don't need to do anything special. But bring a granola bar just in case.
    Between 2 and 4 hours, you might want to aim for 100 calories per hour.
    Between about 4 and 6 hours, you could aim for as much as 200 calories per hour, but as you get fitter you might find you can get away with less ... like 100-150 cal.
    Over 6 hours and the calorie intake becomes a whole lot more complex.

This ^^
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    In general for this kind of question (assuming a 30-60 minute workout) I answer:

Whatever works for you within your calorie allotment. Likely something small-ish and easy to digest. About 30-60 minutes before a workout.

Be aware there is a whole industry marketed around selling "fitness nutrition" suppliments and food (Gatoraide, protein bars, smoothies, etc.) that try very hard to get you to buy stuff you may or may not need. An elite athlete (triathlete, competitive bodybuilder, extreme hiker) may actually benefit from some of these things in a way regular food comes up sort.

However, for the 99% of us, we really don't need Gatoraide after a workout, or special recovery smoothies or the like. Not that you'd necessarily be harmed in any way (but most Gatoraide has a lot of sugar!).

But there isn't much money made by food marketers on eating an apple, chocolate milk or a little toast with honey or a bowl of popcorn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How long is your cardio?
    How long since your last meal?
    How long until your next meal?

FYI - I don't do anything special before/during/after cardio of whatever intensity up to two hours duration, I just stay hydrated with water and it just fits in my day and my normal eating routine.

Beyond that all the way up to nine hours it varies enormously from a little to a lot, from mostly hydration and electrolytes with a little fuel to planning my eating in the days leading up to it, before, during and recovery afterwards.

TLDR: - be more specific!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk has the perfect carbs to protein ratio for a recovery drink. If you need one.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There is no certain answer to this. Everyone’s body is different and their body’s needs are different. Nutrition is a trial and error course. Try different things and see how your body reacts.
    Shorter distances/times don’t require much usually. The intensity is a major factor.