This time it's for real

Options
Like many, I've been on and off the diet and exercise path for many years, but have decided that this is it. I needed to place exercise and diet higher on my list of priorities and have made lifestyle changes to make sure I can continue along this new path for the long term. The tone of this is not self pity, more motivational and positive. I'm upbeat and glad that I'm now finally in the right state of mind. The penny has dropped so to speak.

I started off with outcome based goals (I need to weigh X, or I need to lift Y), but honestly, after a couple weeks of self reflection I've changed my approach. My body and abilities will be what they will be depending on my lifestyle (input and stimulus), so while I continue to stand on the scales, it's not the primary metric I pay attention to. In essence I've transitioned from a finite to an infinite game, where my goal now is to just keep playing the game.

I'm from the UK originally and have lived in the US for the last 18 years. I work in the digital marketing field, so I'm a bit of a nerd at heart. As a kid I was very active, involved in a bunch of sports: athletics, rugby, swimming and martial arts. After I got deep into my career phase, I slowed down a lot as I spent a lot of time sat at a desk. I got soft and squidgy, but am now turning that back around.

I'm now logging food with MFP and following the beginners program from New Rules of Lifting. I just completed Fat Loss 1 and my rest week, ready to start Fat Loss 2 on Monday. I train M, W, F in the mornings before I head to work.

Anyway, hoping to share more and leverage this cool community for help, advice and maybe make a few online friends along the way. Hopefully I will also be able to help in some way later on, even if it's just to offer words of encouragement and support for others.

Replies