HCG is killing my loved one.

Options
To start from the beginning, my best friend since childhood/cousin got a job at a weight loss clinic as a medical assistant about two years ago. When she started there, they got her on the HCG diet. She is very petite, built like a gymnast and has never been more that 20lbs overweight in her life. She then convinced my mom, who has always been a yo-yo dieter, to start HCG as well. My mom wanted to lose about 30lbs thought she too was not that overweight.

The first round my mom did of HCG, she had to be taken to the hospital for severe vertigo, loss of vision, nausea. It was a 2 day stay for her to get her vision back and for her to be able to stand without falling over. Last year, after gaining back what she lost the first round (shocker) my mom was feeling very faint and was diagnosed with high blood pressure and is now on medication. She is now on round 3 and is now having energy problems. She's started paying me to clear her house because she doesn't have the energy and is now wearing braces on her wrists because they hurt and she struggles to lift even a glass of water.

I went to the pool with my son and my mom this week and I couldn't help but notice how much she has aged in two years. She complained that she looked skinny-fat and she does. Her skin hangs a bit but she still looks thin. Laying on beach chairs next to each other, I noticed her forearm and how tiny it was. I reached over and could literally touch my thumb and middle fingers together around the middle of my mom's forearm. She has NO muscle left. I began to tear up and told her wrong that was and how she needed to stop this diet. Still she is convinced she has always had small bones and looks healthy for her age and size...

I don't know what to do. My cousin and I no longer have a relationship. This clinic is writing illegal prescriptions with no doctor on site and prescribing HCG to people who are at most 20-30lbs overweight. My cousin will defend her job to no end. My mom is equally brain-washed. She and my cousin will both team up to defend what they are doing. My mom has since told me to do my thing and let her do hers. :noway: I have used all the knowledge I have gained on my 3 years of MFP and nothing will convince them how stupid and unhealthy this diet is. I really want to make a sign and picket in front of this 'clinic' that they are slowly killing people to make money off their insecurities. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop when they just won't listen?

Replies

• Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if it were me and my mother was at that much risk I would call ANY state agency ,medical or what ever to check this clinic out and complain about what Is happening. Like any addict you Mom and or cousin cannot see what is happening and have lost perspective. They need an intervention and that clinic needs to be shut down... no doctor= no prescriptions to me!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    if it were me and my mother was at that much risk I would call ANY state agency ,medical or what ever to check this clinic out and complain about what Is happening. Like any addict you Mom and or cousin cannot see what is happening and have lost perspective. They need an intervention and that clinic needs to be shut down... no doctor= no prescriptions to me!

When I worked in a medical facility, we had to have a doctor on site. I would think if there was not one on site, they would not be allowed to write scripts.

They lady who owns it has no medical training whatsoever!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would be reporting that clinic, sounds very dodgy!!

Its hard when loved ones do these kind of things, my sister is starting the Cambridge diet (less than 500 cals a day). I tried to gently talk her around, offered to go to the gym with her, baby sit her kids so she can cook up batches of healthy foods.... but no.... it has to be Cambridge diet because it's so fast to lose weight with :(
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have no further advice that other's haven't share, but I will be praying for you. I can understand your pain. Mother's are precious and gone too soon.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Yeah I would be reporting that clinic, sounds very dodgy!!

Its hard when loved ones do these kind of things, my sister is starting the Cambridge diet (less than 500 cals a day). I tried to gently talk her around, offered to go to the gym with her, baby sit her kids so she can cook up batches of healthy foods.... but no.... it has to be Cambridge diet because it's so fast to lose weight with :(

My mom CAN do it the right way. She worked out with a trainer when I was in high school and looked great. She got down to a very low body fat %, lifted heavy and looked the best of her life. I think now, she wants that 'fast result" and not the healthy one.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would try and get that clinic shut down (after you verify there is illegal activity going on). I wouldn't know how to go about that, so I would research research research! What about if you contacted a local news station?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No help here but it is so sad. I hope you can help your mom
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I started a post about this very same thing today - a friend of mine has started this diet and I am VERY concerned about her.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Um, take her to a clinic specializing in eating disorders? I realize this isn't necessarily what people think of when they hear of a situation like that but this kind of thing would be right up their alley. Oh, and the health department is probably the bunch you will get the most progress by calling about the sketchy one.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Um, take her to a clinic specializing in eating disorders? I realize this isn't necessarily what people think of when they hear of a situation like that but this kind of thing would be right up their alley. Oh, and the health department is probably the bunch you will get the most progress by calling about the sketchy one.

I don't necessarily think she has an eating disorder, I honestly think she is receiving terrible advice and treatment from someone she trusts.. She eats like a normal person when she is not on this supervised diet. The problem being, they have her convinced that they are experts and that she needs to follow their plain.. In the eyes of their patients, it is a medical facility that specializes in doctor supervised diets. When it comes down to who is right, they are going to go with the clinic as opposed to someone like me with no medical training. The clinic itself is misleading the people who go there. There is no doctor on site, and they are illegally coding HCG scripts for a weight loss diagnosis.

I will try health department, already wrote the state attorney general.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I would try and get that clinic shut down (after you verify there is illegal activity going on). I wouldn't know how to go about that, so I would research research research! What about if you contacted a local news station?

I'm not even sure you need to verify anything. Just call in your suspicions and let them investigate.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :noway: :flowerforyou:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    your state medical licensing board is the place to start your work, but first you have to find out what doctor is writing the Rx
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose mom was extremely unhealthy. For years, her mom wouldn't listen to her begging her to get healthy. Finally one day my friend lost it- got angry, cried, and told her mom "you're not just hurting yourself, you're hurting me. I want you to be around to see my getting married and see your grandkids." I'm sure different people have different rock bottom triggers but that's what worked for her. I hope everything works out okay for you and your mom :flowerforyou:
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :frown: -- I would definitely go the television station route. They will dig deep into it once they see they have a story -- I've seen them chase business owners around demanding answers. I had never heard of this before and just read about it online. It sounds terrible to be so brainwashed by the product. :/ I will pray for you and your loved ones.:flowerforyou:
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    i would call your mom's PCP if she has one. even though the doctor wont be able to tell you anything your mom has told him/her, you are allowed to voice concern's about your mother's health.

if mom's PCP realizes she is on an extremely dangerous diet he will call her, especially given the documented health issues she'd had. maybe hearing it from a "real" medical professional will help.
  • michellechawner
    Options

I'm not even sure you need to verify anything. Just call in your suspicions and let them investigate.

Bingo. Also realize, just because there isn't a doctor there, doesn't mean they can't write scripts. Nurse Practitioners are also allowed to write scripts. But definitely report anything to the county or state.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is so sad...I would totally agree to see what you can do to report this clinic to the authorities and maybe try TV/radio. Depending on the state nurse practioners and in some cases nurses can write prescriptions but they still have to be appropriate and legal.
    Have others in your family noticed what it going on/agree with you? Perhaps you could try an intervention?
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    i would call your mom's PCP if she has one. even though the doctor wont be able to tell you anything your mom has told him/her, you are allowed to voice concern's about your mother's health.

if mom's PCP realizes she is on an extremely dangerous diet he will call her, especially given the documented health issues she'd had. maybe hearing it from a "real" medical professional will help.

Another good suggestion. My mom is self employed and has no insurance so I don't even think she has a regular doctor.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    That is awful! I am sorry to hear of your troubles! I hope everything works out for the better:) Keep fighting!