Recipes

I am specifically looking for a good recipe that is low cal for chicken or tuna salad...my go to is usually to put MAYO in for the main binder but I am trying to find lower calorie alternative...I know everyone goes to plain greek yogurt but I am not a fan of greek yogurt...wasn't sure if anyone had any tips? Also am open for any other low calorie recipes that people love! Trying to do it right this time! Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe you can use mayo, but not make enormous amounts, and/or not eat it all the time? I make salads with tuna, shrimp or ham occasionally, and I don't have any trouble sticking to my overall calorie goal.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    ditto to what @kommodevaran said - look at how much mayo the recipe calls for and see if you can reduce it; when I started out measuring out a serving of pasta sauce (etc) rather than just jumping a ton off - I can to realize that I didn't need as much as I had been using
  • liamstrudwick
    liamstrudwick Posts: 5 Member
    Lighter than light helmans mayo! 11 calories per 15g serving basically a tablespoon..
  • Bailey00030
    Bailey00030 Posts: 30 Member
    I also use the light Hellmanns mayo for my tuna salad lettuce wraps. I include lemon juice and a bit of Dijon so I only need to use a bit of Mayo. I use the recipe from America's Test Kitchen
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    I mix my tuna with a wedge of laughing cow light swiss instead of mayo. I prefer that to the taste of light mayo.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Mashed avocado
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    A good prepared mustard? Vinaigrette? Good vinegar pureed with a hard-boiled egg and perhaps a little milk? Seasoned ricotta cheese? Neufchatel or lower fat cream cheese thinned with milk?
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    I was surprised at how little mayo I actually need when making tuna salad, or even sandwiches. Try adding less first and see if it's still satisfying for you. There are other good suggestions, but some things just need mayo to taste right, for me anyway.