Any one with an injury?

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yeah my physical therapists won't even start to let me think about running for anything other than the bus until 6 months post-op. Even then that totally hinges on how much strength I've regained in my quads and glutes.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fit4sure wrote: »
    Totally blown meniscus that isn’t repairable. Arthritic knees as it was but I wasn’t having pain with them until the weight lifting accident. I was being an idiot...

I taught a cardio kickboxing class and had everyone on the mats for certain weight lifting stations. One gal at a station forgot the routine for that station and I ran over to assist her...took the weights and did the move WITHOUT the mat. The floor was slippery there and I went down with the weight engaged on one knee. Doc says the only thing is a total knee replacement and he won’t do it until I’m older so I get shots in my knee so I can sleep at night as the pain is THAT bad. Also was told no more cardio kickboxing, squats, running, hiking treacherous trails, zumba...these were my “go to’s” and I’m not into water stuff or bikes. :(

Still trying to figure out my new thing. Just walking for now. Not interesting...messes with my head but I KNOW to listen to my doctor as I could complicate things and make things way worse.

I apologize for the situation you are in that has to be devastating to endure. I'll list some things that might make exercise alittle different and hopefully fun.
    1. Talk to your doctor about these exercises if you think or know they will effect your surgery site or injury
    2. Handstand balance exercises are cool and make you look like a beast
    3. Yoga
    4. Pilates class, Cassie Ho has some good videos
    5. Stretches are important
    6. Rowing while your legs stay stationary so you don't bend your knee
    7. Read about different muscles and how they move to get ideas on how to work out
    8. Record progress or things that upset your injury
    9. Make list of things you can do
    10. Try to focus and control your muscles while doing mundane things.
    11. Smile and have a good rest of the day.
  • Acem24
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Back to the original question - I'm seven and a half weeks out of a tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction and essentially I've spent all of the last seven and a half weeks doing massive amounts of PT (which started hours after I got out of surgery). That and a lot of scar mobilization. The first 3 or so weeks was essentially spent sleeping and doing PT.

I was only allowed to start bearing weight on my surgical leg a week and a half ago when I was six weeks post op which is pretty normal. Since then it's still been a lot of PT and I've added on biking on my indoor trainer, both to aid in flexion but also so I can have some cardio. The only reason I was able to start biking as early as I did is because of all of the scar mobilization I did, otherwise I just wouldn't have had enough flexion. At the moment I have a self imposed limit of biking four days a week (if I bike three days in a row my knee is very unhappy the four day) and a PT imposed limit of not biking nearly as intensely as I would like to. I presumably won't be allowed to bike outside until March or April which sucks but the risk is that if I fall I would probably shatter my tibia. I'll likely add in swimming next week as well.

Swimming is awesome and addictive. With the right gear.
  • Acem24
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Torn ACL while doing martial arts a few years ago. Had a reconstruction with a hamstring tendon graft and was on a lot of restrictions after surgery. Wasn't cleared for running again until 12 weeks post op and even then it was "straight line/flat terrain". I walked a 5k in my ACL brace a few months post op and was really tempted to run some of it but thought it would be embarrassing if I fell on my face so just kept walking...
    I was excited about being able to run again but when I first tried, every step hurt so I stuck to walking for a while until it didn't hurt to run (am now running again). It actually took about a year before the surgery knee felt like it did before the injury. Everyone (doc, PT, and others with previous ACL reconstructions) told me it would take that long, but I wanted to think it would be faster for me....
    With any injury, you need to follow the restrictions set by your doctor and PT. You can be active, but follow the doctor/PTs advice and focus on your rehab. If you don't you risk reinjury or making it worse, and then you may end up with needing even longer to get back to where you want to be.

Very excited for you. Congratulations. Run for me. I'll be running on Feb 8.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Acem24 wrote: »
    Swimming is awesome and addictive. With the right gear.
    Yeah conveniently there's only so many things you need for swimming at a not terribly serious recreational level. A swimsuite of some kind and goggles. Any recreational pool will have kickboards and likely pull buoys, some will have paddles (though if I know I'm going to use them I'll try to remember to bring my own), ad some of them have fins.

But really all you need is a swimsuit and goggles as well as knowledge of lap pool etiquette.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yep. Bulging disk. Time, PT, and Dr. Stu McGill's basic 3 helped it.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Acem24 wrote: »
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Torn ACL while doing martial arts a few years ago. Had a reconstruction with a hamstring tendon graft and was on a lot of restrictions after surgery. Wasn't cleared for running again until 12 weeks post op and even then it was "straight line/flat terrain". I walked a 5k in my ACL brace a few months post op and was really tempted to run some of it but thought it would be embarrassing if I fell on my face so just kept walking...
    I was excited about being able to run again but when I first tried, every step hurt so I stuck to walking for a while until it didn't hurt to run (am now running again). It actually took about a year before the surgery knee felt like it did before the injury. Everyone (doc, PT, and others with previous ACL reconstructions) told me it would take that long, but I wanted to think it would be faster for me....
    With any injury, you need to follow the restrictions set by your doctor and PT. You can be active, but follow the doctor/PTs advice and focus on your rehab. If you don't you risk reinjury or making it worse, and then you may end up with needing even longer to get back to where you want to be.

Very excited for you. Congratulations. Run for me. I'll be running on Feb 8.

Thanks man. Good luck with your rehab. February 8th will be here before you know it!