All It Takes Is The Correct Mindset

Options
Hi Everyone, My name is Chris and I am a 10 year brain cancer survivor. Where the tumor was located when I was first diagnosed actually prevented spinal fluid draining from my skull to my spine as it normally would. By the time I got to the doctors and they brought me in to drain the excess fluid and insert a shunt to help make sure the fluid drained normally, I had close to 2 gallons of excess spinal fluid in my skull putting pressure on my brain. I received radiation therapy only, and as I finished my battle with the cancer itself, my body started to have after effects from the pressure on my brain and the radiation therapy. This took place when I was 12. From that point, I would go on to overcome numerous obstacles, have over 20 surgeries, have a stroke and be told I wasn't able to be saved, and was diagnosed with a medical condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia (Please look it up and read about it as most people aren't aware about it). About 3-4 months ago, I was finally medically cleared to start going to the gym and lifting more than just a 10 pound max. I've been going to the gym ever since with two friends that I've known for a very long time and have been starting to get into shape. Arms and legs are getting larger muscle-wise and my waist has been slowly getting less pudgy. I go to the gym with them around 3-4 times a week minimum and still do exercises at home, too. Moral of the story, you can do it. You can work for and obtain the body you want, you just have to be willing to put in the time. There are also so many straps and other accessories that can help people who have issues with gripping and such. Wake up every morning, remember what your "why" is, and go to work. I was told multiple times that I shouldn't be alive, but here I am writing this blog for you all to see after getting back from the gym a little bit ago. If you truly want it, you'll find that there are no excuses necessary because you don't want to miss a day. If you want it as bad as you want to breath, then it's time to rise and grind.

Replies

• san1943
    san1943 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It makes my problems with an overly sweet tooth seem pathetic! Well done for staying so positive! How on earth do you do it!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me to lose 30 lb by mid March to make robotic surgery for prostate cancer go better. I shed the first 10% pretty fast by going on a strict diet and MFP is great for that. It would be good to lose another 80 after the surgery to be right-size. I wonder how much a prostate weighs :)