Craving something crunchy and chocolate- any "healthy" or low calorie ideas?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'm not great at having a small or even reasonable portion of a high calorie dessert. What's worked best for me is finding replacements for my cravings. But.... I want something crunchy and chocolate and can't think of a good idea. Any suggestions? Chocolate covered pretzels sound awesome but if I make them I'll eat pound of them in one sitting.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    google protein angel food cake im making a large 9 inch "cake" tonight thats chocolate mint flavor. Im a bulk eater who loves baked goods so it works well for me for 200 calories of basically pure protein. Definatly a glorified omelette cake but for me these keep me sane i love them xD get the crispy and the soft gooey textures i like
  • apriljoy01
    apriljoy01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look for brownie brittle at your grocery store in the cookie aisle. It's relatively low calorie and its SO good! They even have small bags at target for $1.99
    899cj6e2svl4.png

• badst86
    badst86 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I made these. I go nuts for sweets, could eat them all day without even bothering with real food. This has helped me tame that. I sometimes add a shake of red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne to give it a little kick. Mix everything together except the almond milk. Add almond milk.

Recipe (in actual measurements):
    2 tsp oats
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp poppy seeds
    2 tsp peanut butter
    1 scant tsp honey
    1/2 tsp or less vanilla extract.
    1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Comes out to about 128 calories. Really hits the spot. With the almond milk it takes a lot like cocoa puffs. If you don't want to add the milk you can just eat it dry. Comes out to 8 calories less without the almond milk.

k87il8xflfwg.png
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter chocolate malt balls from the bulk bin at my health food store...84-115 Cal's. I eat them with a super hot cup of coffee.
    Portion control...since I only buy 2 at a time.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I added mini chocolate chips and dried cranberries to my yogurt this morning and it totally hit the spot!
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Kind Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter protein bar are small but full of taste
  • nshears87
    nshears87 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Kashi Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies. These are delicious. 130 cal, 10g whole grains, 3g fiber. They're soft and yummy :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    - Chocolate Halo Top with a small amount of crunchy topping: granola, chopped nuts, pretzel pieces, etc.
    - Crunchy snack of choice dipped in chocolate syrup--fewer calories than buying "chocolate covered" versions.
    - Ghirardelli squares; they run about 50-80 calories each depending on flavor and many have nuts or other crunchy bits
    - Yogurt with a few chocolate chips
    - Trail mix with chocolate chips/candies--watch portion sizes of nuts
    - Cookie Thins: http://mrsthinsters.com/products/
    - Brownie brittle as someone else mentioned; Trader Joe's version of it is similar
    - Trader Joe's chocolate crisps: http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/trader_joes_dark_chocolate_crisps
    - Toast with a little Nutella
    - Popcorn with chocolate drizzle (melt chocolate, drizzle over popcorn, let cool until chocolate hardens)
    - Frozen chocolate banana bites (melt chocolate, dip bite-sized pieces of banana, freeze--you can also top with other crunchy bits before freezing)

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like Belvita chocolate breakfast bites
  • jz1027
    jz1027 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online for chocolate hummus. It has chickpeas, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and maple syrup blended together. Spread it on some apple slices and you get a really tasty, healthy snack that doesn’t have all of the additives of store bought snacks.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes Chocolate Cat Cookies do it for me. 15 cookies = 110 calories. They are small.
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I literally dip my popsicles in cocoa powder. It's weird but good and satisfys my chocolate craving. I use Herseys unsweetend cocoa and I eat Outshine Strawberry popsicle bars because they don't have high fructose corn syrup.
  • tink6356
    tink6356 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I mix in some chocolate protein powder into plain nonfat Greek yogurt and top with fresh fruit and some type crunchy like 1/8cup grape nuts or all bran cereal or a granola, but with granola you have to just make sure it’s not loaded with sugar and a bunch of artificial ingredients...if I’m really deep into chocolate cravings, I will get some dark chocolate and break a little up into it also
  • bethmarie93
    bethmarie93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try any of the dessert hummuses from Delighted By brand. It is available at publix and comes in different flavors including brownie and mint chcoolate. I dip apple slices into it. It is soo good and satisfies my craving. It is made from real chickpeas and it’s vegan so great for vegans and because dairy is very fattening/sugary.
  • AnnaOpdx
    AnnaOpdx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Popcorn curbs my crunchy/salty cravings . You could melt a little chocolate and drizzle it on top.

I like to treat myself to chocolate almond bars a lot. Just a little bit each day helps me stay on track with my eating.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Halo Top has a new flavor called Candy Bar. It's a chocolate base and tastes like little peanut pieces are in it.

I like the Special K chocolate chip protein bar too when I'm craving a candy bar. The ones that are about 200 calories and 12g protein.

Snappers minis are actually pretty good bang for your buck too.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I have fun-size M&M's in the freezer. Very satisfying :)