Help with exercising on low carb lifestyle

Options
Hi everyone!

I am one week into low carb lifestyle change. I am actually just trying to focus on no refined carbs. Good carbs like fruit and carrots are fine. I have been riding to work each day this week (30min each way) and have had no real problem with energy or feeling unwell.

Today I have eaten 1200 calories and just decided to go to the gym. I havent been in a few months and did weight training to start getting back into it.

I now feel a little bit off in the tummy. Like it is empty, but I feel really full at the same time.

Im guessing this is just my body doing its first intensive exercise and having to get use to burning fats for fuel.

I know it will feel fine tomorrow, but wanted to see if any of you know what is actually happening or have any suggestions which weight training and karate. Thoughts?

Fyi - I ate dinner beforehand. I fortunately did break my no refined carb goal today, but it was only a smaller amount of chocolate I was given as a gift and caved in on.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Im going to have a snack later when my stomach doesnt feel odd. If it isnt too late (9pm here) The feeling is going away with relaxing now.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Ignore the time, it's an old wives tale that eating late stores fat.

Eat your calories.
  • littlemegzz
    Options
    Thanks! Will do. And thanks for the video. I have been eating back my exercise calories this week.

Do you know if my guess about body learning to to use fat instead of carbs has any research backing it? I know I have read about your body getting use to it. I just thought it would have happened earlier this week.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Your body would not switch in to fat fuelling without going in to something called ketosis.

I'm not a fan of it, you can burn just as much fat by eating your carbs, the human body can't tell if those carbs are refined or not.
    I get most of my carbs from a huge amount of fruit and veg each day but I do eat chocolate, ramen/noodles etc as well to finish my calories off.

You're very welcome to join the fruit and veg challenge :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in#latest
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When the body burns fats over glycogen it's called ketosis. It can take anywhere from 3-4 days to several weeks to reach this stage. To maintain a state of ketosis it is recommended that carbs be kept to under 20g net. That's carb g less fibre g. I strongly suggest you look at either joining some of the keto groups on mfp or alternatively there are groups on Facebook.
    Optimal Ketogenic Living - is on both.
    In terms of exercise... it is not recommended that you undertake 'heavy' exercise until your body is fat adapted - several weeks.
    With a ketogenic way of eating it is essential to get enough sodium, magnesium and potassium - electrolytes, and to drink plenty of water.
    I doubt that your recommended calorie intake is 1200 - the OKL site has a chart to assist and it's based on gender and height.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When carbs are lowered your insulin will fall and insulin is responsible for a fair bit of water retention. As you lose water weight you will lose electrolytes too - first sodium and then magnesium and potassium if sodium gets too low. Symptoms of low electrolytes are fatigue, headaches, moodiness, nausea, BM issues, brain fog, muscle aches and eventually spasms. If it goes too far, it can be life threatening.

Consider adding salt to your diet. Most people need 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, and lowering carbs may make one need even more. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. Salting your food well AND taking extra salt ( like a teaspoon of salt with water, salt tablets or a couple of cups of salty broth) will probably do the trick. I know it sounds like a lot, but it does help.

Good luck.
  • littlemegzz
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. This is super helpful.

I’ll make sure to up my salt and join some of those channels to learn more.
  • littlemegzz
    Options
    So it turns out that Im a little sick. I thought it was just the change in diet, but two night ago was ill throughout the night. Still not 100% today, but didnt have a fever last night.

I ate bread products yesterday hoping to settle my stomach, but it is still off this morning. Possibly takes a couple days? Anyway, I guess I have a virus and just have to ride it out.