Roughly 100 lbs GONE no longer type 2 diabetic

Options
Started in 2008, I was told I was type 2 diabetic in 2000, but I am sure it went back as far as me in high school, I was always tired, always taking naps, and still never had energy. Once diagnosed I never really took it seriously, until in 2008 doctor said "if you do not change we are probably going to have to put you on insulin." That was my wake up call, that got my attention, and that was when I said to myself I have to do something and make a change.

When I started going to the gym I didnt really concentrate on weight loss, it was about getting more active, turning one bad habit into a good habit at a time, baby steps, lifestyle changes. Instead of playing a computer game all the time called Everquest 2, I started to go to the gym a few days a week. Weight was not moving much. But then a new drug came out for diabetes type 2 called Byetta, it was great for controlling sugar levels with those who were struggling on the standard pills like metformin and glyburide and were not on insulin yet.

Once I started taking Byetta within 2 weeks the weight started to go down, and I did not change anything. I got all the way down to about 215, and then I had to switch doctors and the new doctor she would not put me on Byetta, so over 1.5 year time I trickled back up to 230. She would not put me on Byetta, she told me I was just eating to much, even though I told her my diet was the same and I was eating 1200 calories a day and I tracked it all in myfitnesspal, I even brought in 3 months of daily food logs to show her. So I finally gave up on her and found another doctor, and he put me on the newer form of Byetta called Bydureon which I only had to give one injection a week to myself vs 2 times a day on Byetta.

2 weeks after starting Bydureon the weight started to drop, go figure right? I got all the to 185 before I had to stop taking it as it was making feel like I had the flu for 2 weeks after taking the shot, so doc said I could probably stop taking all type 2 medications at this point. 1.5 year later my a1c was 5.4 and multiple a1c tests I was in normal range with no medications. Doctor said I was now type 2 free as long as I could keep the weight off and continue my new lifestyle of eating, and exercising.

I have been free of type 2 diabetes now for 2 years. At my heaviest weight I was about 310 lbs, I did get down to 170, but now I am trying to change body composition, so I am roughly around 195 and the only goal that I have not done is to get rid of the stubborn flab off my torso, some have said I will need surgery to remove it, but I have been trying to do it the old fashioned way. We will see, but I now go to the gym 5 days a week minimum, I relax some around the holidays now that I know I am capable of getting right back on track once holidays are over. I do not every plan on stop doing my new lifestyle, I literally have to talk myself out of going to the gym.

The tips I give folks when you first starting, dont stress about trying to change everything all at once, this is going to be your new lifestyle, it is not something you do for 8 months and then get to go back to what got you where you were, you cant do that. So you absolutely have to make bad habits into good ones, start by being active, go to the gym, or just get out and walk 3-5 days a week, and when your brain is trying to talk you out of doing it, lie to yourself, it sounds crazy but just say ok ok I will just go and do 15 minutes and make it an easy day. The hardest part I swear is SHOWING UP, once you show up and start you just got through the hardest part, often when I did this I would actually do my normal work out not the easy 15 minute workout I lied to myself about doing. Because once I showed up to the gym I got through the hardest part. After you are going 3-5 days a week for 2-3 months you now have a good habit going, now change something else, maybe add another day, maybe change your diet and start to track all calories. Then when you have done that consistently for 2 months find something else to add or change. Before you know it you have completely turned old bad habits into good ones and you are well on your way to a happier healthier you!

There will be ups and downs, but you can not give up, you keep going, do not ever let anything get in your way.

The first photo is just a face to face, the 2nd photo is a body shot from 2008 when I was wearing size 50 pants, the after shot is now from the gym size 34 waist pants.

724ccxiz23bh.jpg

d70ad07p95c4.jpg

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Brilliant job!
  • bkmmtl1
    bkmmtl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the hard work!
  • KnitterNotAQuitter
    KnitterNotAQuitter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving this awesome goal! This is exactly where I’m trying to get myself. I was diagnosed T2 in November. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - must feel great to free yourself of th meds!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great story and excellent results good job
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Fantastic results- such hard work and determination- totally worth it!!!
  • aklrn
    aklrn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • newmebp
    newmebp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Just getting started after carrying an extra 150 lbs for twenty five years. Your story is inspiring!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Your work is proof that it can be done, fantastic job
  • Ekoth1017
    Ekoth1017 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If I take your head off the "before" pictures I would swear that it was me. Your "after" picture has certainly inspired me more than you know. It shows me it is possible. Thank you!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress, you are inspiring! I long for the day when I can say that my blood sugar is under control without meds. I'm working on it.
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated, this inspires me ever more that I know I shall never let myself down again, for those that said it shows you it is possible, or they are inspired, trust me when I say that inspires me to hear, I am humbled. I know when I was younger it was hard for me to do lots of physical activity, I just did not have the energy, so I also know how it feels when all we are told is "stop being lazy" "you eat too much" both of which are not true in lots of cases, especially when it comes to those with type 2 diabetes, its a metabolic issue. They actually now feel there is a breakdown in the metabolic process that then begins to store fat, adding weight, its not that folks are lazy and eat too much that is the after effects. It is so hard to break through, but I know you all can do it, just never give up, never stop, it is not worthless even when that stupid scale will not budge, keep going!

We are not defined by a scale, always know that everyday you put forth positive energy there is a reaction occurring, it may not be noticeable at first but like a snowball rolling down a hill it begins to go faster and grow, and so will your achievements as long as you keep moving.

For those who are type 2 diabetics, I strongly suggest to check out Byetta, Bydureon and now quite a few other GLP-1 Agonist prescriptions, (GLP=Glucagon Like Peptide) Also check out and read up on L-Glutamine it is something diabetics typically are low on which also helps raise our GLP-1, it is also known to help blood sugar levels and also fight off sugar and carb cravings. L-Glutamine is a amino acid we have in our bodies already, you can get it pretty cheaply at your local GNC, Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon, powder you can add to water has no flavor, 1 kilo for about 24 bucks or pills for less.
  • iowachapman
    Options
    @KnitterNotAQuitter Thank you, and your message inspires me so thank you! I know you can beat this, one day at a time, one small change at a time. Not sure what your A1C levels are, but read up on Byetta, Bydureon, I swear these were what helped me the most one get my blood sugars back in control, but to help me lose weight. If they are right for you they just might be what helps you like they do for me.
  • iowachapman
    Options
    @callriter Thank you! I truly appreciate your message, and inspires me in return, I fully believe you can do this, the power is in you, just remember we have great days, we have good days, and we have not so great days, never let those not so great days keep you from putting your foot in front of you and moving forward. Never give up!
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Wow great job!
  • iowachapman
    Options
    @GrokRockStar Thank you very much, your message inspires me too, it truly does. Check out those prescriptions I mentioned, read about them, and see if they might be something that could help and then talk to your doctor. One thing I did along the journey was I went to pretty low carb, high lean proteins, and low to moderate amounts of good fats. But now I dont keep the carbs down at 20grams per day, I have oatmeal for breakfast, and jasmine rice before working out with say some boneless skinless chicken breast, peas n carrots, put in a little garlic and a bit of soy sauce, and then after 2pm or 3pm no carbs other than green veggies. I now stay around 120 ish carbs a day, but back when I was losing and working on making sure my sugar levels were stable and good I was around 20-30 carbs. But I think you could work with more but mainly keep the carbs to green veggies after 3pm, we diabetics just dont process carbs well so we only need them during the day for a bit of energy and hormones to function correctly. I know its hard, but I believe you can beat this. Let it be your WHY and each day wake up and say I WILL BEAT THIS, I WILL NOT FAIL. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!