Not enough protein?

alexxazt
alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!
So I understand that calories are what are most important!
Recently, I’ve been eating more plant based and enjoy it!
However, if I am eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, rice, and potatoes, and occasionally some Legumes (not much) and occasionally some seeds (not much), will I not see as good of results?
Do I NEED to be eating more protein to lose weight and reduce muscle loss (in a caloric deficit)? If so, then I will do what’s needed!
And any opinions if, in terms of weight/fat loss, if a more plant based diet (less protein to carbs) is inferior to a Whole Foods diet eating lean animal products (eating more protein than carbs)?

[I enjoy eating well, I just want to know if not having a lot of protein (having WAY more carbs-kind of like 80/10/10 or raw vegan, the closest way to explain this) is not as effective for weight loss?-given calories are in check]

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Protein helps maintain muscle while in a deficit. Your body needs protein so if it cant get it from the foods you are eating it will cannibalize your muscles to get it. Most people want a "toned" looking body after reaching their weight loss goals. "toned" comes from the appearance of your muscles.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    You don't need protein to lose weight, but you are right that you need it to hold onto muscle mass. When I used to eat plant based I found it easier to look at the macros of each food rather than the usual classifying foods into groups, because non-meat foods just don't have much protein. If you aren't going vegan whey powder and eggs can add on a big protein boost. Otherwise, foods like seitan or wheat gluten, tofu, and beans will help you meet your goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »
    Hi!
    So I understand that calories are what are most important!
    Recently, I’ve been eating more plant based and enjoy it!
    However, if I am eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, rice, and potatoes, and occasionally some Legumes (not much) and occasionally some seeds (not much), will I not see as good of results?
    Do I NEED to be eating more protein to lose weight and reduce muscle loss (in a caloric deficit)?
    And any opinions if, in terms of weight/fat loss, if a more plant based diet (less protein to carbs) is inferior to a Whole Foods diet eating lean animal products (eating more protein than carbs)?

[I enjoy eating well, I just want to know if not having a lot of protein (having WAY more carbs-kind of like 80/10/10 or raw vegan, the closest way to explain this) is not as effective for weight loss?-given calories are in check]

If you are eating a plant-based diet without animal products (which can be a very healthy diet), it's important to make sure you are meeting requirements. For example, legumes (beans and lentils) can be very important in making sure you are getting all the amino acids you need, so your saying "not much" is a little worrisome. Nuts and seeds add some protein and fat (fat can be good for you and help keep you healthy and feeling good).

For weight loss it may not matter, for health, sustainability, and maintaining muscle mass it is important.

It's not a matter of more carbs than protein v. more protein than carbs, as in neither case are you likely to be eating more protein than carbs (not unless you go low carb).