Rowing machine vs Recumbent bike

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    IMHO a recumbent bike is useless. I never feel like they do ANYTHING for me.

I would get an actual spin bike OR a rower- I think I'd use a spin bike more- but if I go to the gym- I get on the rower over the bike.

But I think recumbent bikes are pretty much pointless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    beverlyems wrote: »
    I'm looking to invest in a piece of equipment at home. This is my year of no excuses. It's at home I will use it. I'm looking to get max caloric burn from the workout, overall weight loss, and tone and build muscles. Any experience using either or both machines? Which did you prefer? Pros and cons? **Note: I've never used a rowing machine before but I do love canoing. I used to ride my bike with regularity, but the weather keeps me from it most days. I think I would enjoy using either machine.

I primarily cycle, but if I was going to buy a piece of stationary equipment I would opt for the rower as I have my bike already as well as an indoor trainer so I can set it up in my living room if/when the weather won't permit me to be outside (or I'm just being a wuss in the cold).

As max calorie burn goes, it's not the machine...it's your level of effort and duration that are going to make the difference. I'm not a particularly seasoned rower, but I am a fairly seasoned cyclist...at the go, I'd be able to burn more calories cycling than rowing due to the fact that I would simply be able to go harder and longer on a bike given my experience level.

If you go the bike route, I'd recommend purchasing a good entry level bike and an indoor trainer so you have options to be inside or ride outside. I probably wouldn't opt for a recumbent bike...if it wasn't my bike and indoor trainer, it would be a spin bike.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My wife's favorite is the Octane seated elliptical.
    She has arthritis. Most machines she can't take more than 15 minutes. But she can easily spend an hour in the Octane and pushing hard.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I would get an actual spin bike OR a rower- I think I'd use a spin bike more- but if I go to the gym- I get on the rower over the bike.

IMHO, your humble opinion is ignorant, arrogant and thoughtless.

My wife has dementia and constant nerve pain, which leads to depression and loss of interest in any physical activity, which then deepens the depression and enervation. She went from having an exceptional memory, teaching history and psychology for 50 years to having almost zero short term memory and total sedentary lifestyle.
    At the behest of her memory doctor, we purchased a fairly basic recumbent stationary bike, with good adjustment of resistance and complete statistics. Her use of that bike was the key to rebuilding muscle tone and interest in further exercises. She now has classes 5 days a week, mostly in water aerobics, plus time on the recumbent bike. Very, very far from being worthless, in our experience.

I use it a fair amount myself, especially while watching TV. Not as good as my Nordic Track ski machine, but much nicer for TV watching.

There is a very wide range of participants on this site, all of us making choices to keep ourselves more fit and more healthy. None of these efforts are worthless, no matter what your arrogant opinion is.
    Wake up and smell the coffee.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The rowing machine will give you more of a full body workout, but if you've never tried one before, I would definitely suggest trying it a few times before investing in any machine. I row regularly, and get a great burn, but proper form is crucial. The best machine to buy is the one you will actually enjoy using.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

IMHO, your humble opinion is ignorant, arrogant and thoughtless.

My wife has dementia and constant nerve pain, which leads to depression and loss of interest in any physical activity, which then deepens the depression and enervation. She went from having an exceptional memory, teaching history and psychology for 50 years to having almost zero short term memory and total sedentary lifestyle.
    At the behest of her memory doctor, we purchased a fairly basic recumbent stationary bike, with good adjustment of resistance and complete statistics. Her use of that bike was the key to rebuilding muscle tone and interest in further exercises. She now has classes 5 days a week, mostly in water aerobics, plus time on the recumbent bike. Very, very far from being worthless, in our experience.

I use it a fair amount myself, especially while watching TV. Not as good as my Nordic Track ski machine, but much nicer for TV watching.

There is a very wide range of participants on this site, all of us making choices to keep ourselves more fit and more healthy. None of these efforts are worthless, no matter what your arrogant opinion is.
    Wake up and smell the coffee.

I smell the coffee frequently and I'm quiet awake.

The premise of the question of a bike vs a rower indicates to me more than base level needs.
    A hand bike is useful too.

But it's not going to increase my fitness at all.

So while yes- there are people who can use it- and it's not going to go to waste- and I'm really glad your wife is feeling better and her health has improved.

I agree that none of those efforts are "worthless" perhaps I was ahead of myself blatantly calling it completely worthless- but in terms of level of effort- a recumbent- even when pressed hard is pretty low on the list. For me- I can get more out of walking in place than I can on that bike- so yes - it's good for movement- but it's not good for fitness.

And that isn't arrogance. Presumptuous possibly- not arrogant. And I realize there are a large number of users on this site that aren't all trying to be Arnold- and I'm a big advocate for a lot of those people.

it still doesn't make the recumbent bike particularly effective.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    [
    Chris Hoy and his stringy cardio-monster look....
    s7ace0iuycx5.jpg

There's no point in getting into a p*ssing match about this BUT there's NO WAY this guy developed this body just cycling.

Not saying that a rower could either but between the 2, if you just row or cycle, there is no doubt that rowing will give you a better "overall" body workout, even though the cals burned each at the same level of effort is about the same.

Whether rowing is "better" workout in terms of muscle development, fat burning and/or fitness is debatable but I think that developing a body like the one pictured would require A LOT more work than just rowing or cycling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    [
    Chris Hoy and his stringy cardio-monster look....
    s7ace0iuycx5.jpg

There's no point in getting into a p*ssing match about this BUT there's NO WAY this guy developed this body just cycling.

Not saying that a rower could either but between the 2, if you just row or cycle, there is no doubt that rowing will give you a better "overall" body workout, even though the cals burned each at the same level of effort is about the same.

Whether rowing is "better" workout in terms of muscle development, fat burning and/or fitness is debatable but I think that developing a body like the one pictured would require A LOT more work than just rowing or cycling.

Well of course he didn't get that development just from cycling!!
    You should see him doing squats.

Because he was a cyclist in events where short bursts of power were paramount. Because not all cyclists are the same or cycle the same. Because if you cycle (or row) it doesn't mean you ONLY cycle or row. Because if you cycle or row you don't have one type of body.
    Oh look - everyone in The Netherlands looks exactly the same because they all cycle......

You row and do weights, I cycle and do weights. Neither you or I are "cardio monster stringy" or whatever ludicrous and rude statement was used.

• sgt1372
    Options
    You row and do weights, I cycle and do weights. Neither you or I are "cardio monster stringy" or whatever ludicrous and rude statement was used.

Gotcha! :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Those were lightweight rowers on the pic, by the way, which means (by definition) they have to keep their weight below 160 lbs. If you pictured "heavyweights", you would see the vast difference. Lightweight Olympic rowers are long and thin. Heavyweights are massive, both in height and mass.

Sir Brad Wiggins (British Olympic Biking champ) just rowed in the BIRC (British Indoor Rowing Championships). He wants to make the UK rowing team. He had to put on around 30 to 40 lbs just to stand a chance. Didn't go too well for him. He looks fat at his current weight.

I have a Concept2 rower, just sold a Spin Bike. Bought (another thing you should strongly consider) a Air Dyne Pro bike. They used to be $1200, but have recently gone down in price to $900. They have handle bars and work your upper and lower body. I'm a decent (not great but regionally competitive rower) and I can do 90 minutes on a rower at a fairly fast clip. 20 minutes on this bike wipes me out! The other thing about the Concept2 or the Air Dyne Pro is, they don't lose value. Both are not motor driven. They are really high end machines that you can own 5 years, and with minimal maintenance, you can sell them for practically what you bought them for! You cannot find either for $200 less than a new one used anywhere!

I used to run and indoor rowing is way cheaper per year (around $30 a year in depreciation, that's it). I used to spend $400 to $500 a year on shoes alone.

Personally, recumbent bike would be the last bike option I'd consider (if you decide to go with a bike). Air Dyne Pro or a Concept 2 Bike first. Next would be a Xebex Bike or an Assault Bike (also great options). Then a Spinning Bike and then a Stationary Bike. If you wanted a real investment, a Watts Bike. Watts Bikes are great but very expensive (around $2500). The C2 bike is a much more reasonable version of the Watts Bike. Definitely row a bit first before you buy a rower! It's not for everyone. I'd also buy a rowing seat or pad, even if a cheap one. New rowers really hurt their bums. Heck, for that matter, I'd get a reasonable road bike and a trainer over a recumbent bike. You can find a dozen recumbent bikes used very cheap for a reason, they gather dust. Same can't be said about the other bike options. A decent road bike doesn't lose value either. Neither does a good bike trainer. The great thing about that is you can take it off the trainer on occasion and enjoy the outdoors!

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm bemused by the comparison of elite/professional cyclists vs rowers. It's exceedingly irrelevant. As someone else said, I'm pretty sure the OP isn't planning on becoming an elite athlete and frankly, most people who participate in sports aren't elite athletes. Most people don't have the time to even try to become a professional athlete, no matter how fit they may be. As sijomial noted, no one said, "well you can only do this one sport/form of exercise so pick wisely" (at which point the wisest choice would potentially be triathlon). Just because the OP wants to do some form of cardio doesn't mean that weight training is somehow off limits.
  • aokoye
    Options
    You can find a dozen recumbent bikes used very cheap for a reason, they gather dust. Same can't be said about the other bike options. A decent road bike doesn't lose value either. Neither does a good bike trainer. The great thing about that is you can take it off the trainer on occasion and enjoy the outdoors!
    I agree that it seems that Concept2 rowers don't appear to depreciate in value however bikes, including very nice bikes, hemorrhage in value. Bikebluebook's value guide is a good example. There's currently an 2015 Trek Emonda SL8 on my city's Craigslist selling for $1695 (if only it was my size and I had the extra money...). That bike retailed new for $4,730. Even new bikes from previous model years depreciate quickly. One of the bike shops near me is selling a 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra for $500 off retail.
  • sgt1372
    edited January 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    You can find a dozen recumbent bikes used very cheap for a reason, they gather dust. Same can't be said about the other bike options. A decent road bike doesn't lose value either. Neither does a good bike trainer. The great thing about that is you can take it off the trainer on occasion and enjoy the outdoors!
    I agree that it seems that Concept2 rowers don't appear to depreciate in value however bikes, including very nice bikes, hemorrhage in value. Bikebluebook's value guide is a good example. There's currently an 2015 Trek Emonda SL8 on my city's Craigslist selling for $1695 (if only it was my size and I had the extra money...). That bike retailed new for $4,730. Even new bikes from previous model years depreciate quickly. One of the bike shops near me is selling a 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra for $500 off retail.

I can remember when you could buy what was considered a very good bike at the time for just $200.

I know I'm dating myself but the last "nice" road bike that I had was a white Peugeot which I still regret selling but, I never road it on the open road, just at the Polo Field at GG Park in SF where I could do laps w/o worrying about traffic.

The cost of bikes (both used and new) and the cost of bike clothing and gear are just 2 reasons why I prefer rowing. ;)

As for the price of used Concept2 rowers, it seems to me that very few owners sell them (low supply) and those who do ask ridiculously high prices for earlier models which after reconditioning and upgrades would cost as much or more than buying one new.

The C2 rowers offered at "reasonable" prices for later models in good condition are quickly sold. Others offered for less are pretty much just junk.

Once saw a Concept 2 Model A (the original model w/a wire spoked bike wheel w/flaps on it, like the playing cards kids use to stick on bike wheels to make noise, which C2 then used for rowing resistance - talk about primitive) that's over 30 yrs old recently offered on for $500 Craigslist (over 50% of new). The seller must have thought it had "extra" value as an antique.

You can see what that looks like here: http://www.concept2.com/service/indoor-rowers

LOL!
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use the rowing machine at the fitness center where I work. They have stationary bikes as well (not a recumbent though). I feel like I get more of a full body workout with the rowing machine. It does cardio for fat burning and I feel like I get strength training as well.
    I think someone else suggested going to a gym and getting a day pass. That would be what you should do. Try them both out and see which you like better. I really think it's personal preference. I prefer to run and row over biking.

Good Luck reaching your goals!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    If this is your only form of exercise I suggest rowing over biking in a landslide as far as being a full body activity. You can always incorporate bodyweight and dumbbell resistance training too.

Personally, I love my Concept2. Though Concept2s are a bit of an investment, they hold up really well if not abused. Might be able to find an older model on Craigslist or facebook.
  • JJYoyo
    JJYoyo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine (Concept 2 best) will be better all around training machine. However, you have to know how to row. I would get the rowing machine only if you can be trained by someone who actually rowed before -- as in, on the water (someone who knows what "hands-body-slide" means at a minimum). Otherwise you'll get frustrated or injured over time, and the thing will collect dust.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    It's
    JJYoyo wrote: »
    Rowing machine (Concept 2 best) will be better all around training machine. However, you have to know how to row. I would get the rowing machine only if you can be trained by someone who actually rowed before -- as in, on the water (someone who knows what "hands-body-slide" means at a minimum). Otherwise you'll get frustrated or injured over time, and the thing will collect dust.

Really not that hard to learn how to row "properly." "Lots of instructional videos and articles online at Concept2 and elsewhere.

It's all about the efficiency and timing of movements. If you can pay attention and follow instructions, anyone can learn w/o the need for a trainer.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    This discussion has gone all over the place.
    I vote for the rower.
    Rowing provides some resistance and, presumably, some strength training, when done right.
    I don't think a bike really does. A bike is pure cardio.
    There are important advantages from doing training that develops strength.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Why wouldn't the bike provide resistance? I mean yes it's very cardio heavy and yes there are ways in which to bike with very low resistance both inside and out (logistically it's easier inside) but how would cyclists have strong quads and calves if there wasn't resistance? Never mind that doctors who work in sports medicine refer to things like "resistance" in the context of cycling (ie. "don't bike inside with too much resistance 6 weeks out of your surgery but make sure there's some resistance").

I realize I probably sound like a zealot to some, which isn't my intention. I think the OP should get the piece of equipment that she'll actually use that might be a recumbent bike, it might be a bike trainer or it might be a rowing machine. I do quite like rowing inside and would love to row outside (that will have to wait until next Fall at the earliest).