Biggest Losers lose more than 2lbs/wk safely? How!?

Options

Replies

• igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    They're big. And a lot of it is water weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The false timeline and other issues have already been noted. But just to add:

You can only oxidize a certain amount of fat a day. The amount you can oxidize depends on how much fat you have in the first place. So, the people on TBL have a lot more that they can oxidize. If you have a higher calorie deficit than the amount you can oxidize from fat, the rest will come from muscle and other important shiz.

So, do you really want to get in a net catabolic state?

It's also noteworthy that almost all of them get injuries, which is unavoidable at that activity level and calorie amount. They have professional trainers and doctors on staff to deal with the injuries and appropriately modify their training protocol, whereas for people without this kind of access, would require hospital/doctor visits and a physical therapist. I personally can't afford ($$$ or time) that kind of nonsense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You can only oxidize a certain amount of fat a day. The amount you can oxidize depends on how much fat you have in the first place. So, the people on TBL have a lot more that they can oxidize. If you have a higher calorie deficit than the amount you can oxidize from fat, the rest will come from muscle and other important shiz.

Interesting. How can we calculate this amount of fat?

There is not a specific study that I am aware of, however, Lyle McDonald came up with an 'on paper' calculation based on studies of 31g of fat per day per lb of fat.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why its such a no-no to lose more than 2 lbs per week when the contestants on The Biggest Loser drop 10-20+ lbs in 7 days!

Granted, they have professional trainers and medical staff working with them, but essentially, they are only eating healthy and working out. That leads me to believe that if I eat healthy and incorporate muscle-friendly foods in my daily diet, my moderate exercise should be a positive factor, not a negative one threatening to eat away healthy muscle mass.

What am I missing in health education that makes Jillian Michaels' troops clear to drop buku weight, but not me?

I'm going for 4-5lbs per week... and I'm going to eat foods rich in muscle-building nutrients, drink Gatorade products, and get my rest to regenerate!

I have been losing 3.4 to 4 lbs a week for aprox 8 weeks. but I started off at 270 and I exercise aprox 2 hours a day I wake up at 4 am to exercise , and then work 12 to 14 hours and exercise again - every day .
    Some weeks I lose nothing . One week I even gained 1 pound? but I know it's all about to slow down because the more you lose the slower it goes. I'm ready for that ,as I am probably not going to increase my exercise to something I will not be able to sustain for life and also am not willing to decrease my calories to where I am stuggling to maintain later. so what I'm saying is it's nice to lose 4 pounds a week .... but it's also nice to lose 1 or two pounds and keep them off.

Good luck in your goal, however much you lose every week will be awesome!

Amy
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell. That show breaks it down as far as what a person should eat and how much to exercise. BL is a game to see who can lose the most weight. Extreme weight loss is a way of life. They get the same results like the people on BL...but it takes them a realistic year as they do it from home. If you locked me in a ranch with a gym and salad, I'd probably lose a butt load of weight too.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's all water weight

HahahA . i have lost 47 lbs of water weight . I can't wait to go back home for Christmas and say that it was all water weight!! So funny !
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

There is not a specific study that I am aware of, however, Lyle McDonald came up with an 'on paper' calculation based on studies of 31g of fat per day per lb of fat.

So just plugging in some numbers here,

31g x 170 lbs x 30% body fat = 1581g of fat, or 14,229 calories, or 3.95 lbs of fat to be potentially used before muscle needs to be used, per Mr. McDonald's cited theory? That still seems like a lot, especially if the weight or body fat percentage numbers are higher, just like you said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So just plugging in some numbers here,

31g x 170 lbs x 30% body fat = 1581g of fat, or 14,229 calories, or 3.95 lbs of fat to be potentially used before muscle needs to be used, per Mr. McDonald's cited theory? That still seems like a lot, especially if the weight or body fat percentage numbers are higher, just like you said.

170lb x 30% = 51g body fat x 31 cals = 1,581 x 7 = 11,067 per week / 3,500 = 3.162lb (not sure where your 3.95lb is from) based on a theoretical calculation - which I would definitely want to leave a buffer for as a cya.

Also, there are other issues on a large deficit, including possible higher AT impact, adherence issues, macro and micro sufficiency, hormonal imbalance etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Delete. Re-reading.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Into read later. Too much math to just skim through properly at work. :tongue:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    3.95 is by dividing 14,229 by 3600 calories burned to lose one pound. The # may indeed be 3500, I mix them up.

You said 31g of fat per pound of body fat. I thought that meant you could therefore oxidize 31g x your body weight x body fat percentage before your body couldn't do it anymore. My calculation actually points to

3.95 lb per day x 7 days = 27.65 lb of fat per week.

Where did I go wrong? Did you mean 31 calories, not 31g of fat? Big difference, since 31g of fat must be multiplied by 9 calories per g of fat to convert to calories
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Into read later. Too much math to just skim through properly at work. :tongue:

I see the math geeks have ruined a nice easy read again :(

:laugh:
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Regarding the use of Gatorade. The consensus of the guys on my local bicycle racing team is that Gatorade is about like Mountain Dew, except that Mountain Dew also has caffeine. It can be useful on race day for a competitive athlete. If you are not a competitive athlete dealing with race day nutrition issues it may not be for you. This is especially true if you are a novice athlete interested in cutting weight. It has way too much sugar for 99% of the population and is little more than a sugar delivery system marketed as a sports drink.

Some people use Gatorade for electrolyte replacement, but Gatorade comes in a pathetic trailer to drinks like Cytomax, which are specifically for electrolyte replacement.

Note: One of the U.S. Olympic road cycling team coach recommends a solution of orange juice and water supplemented as needed by fig newtons for endurance athletes. Basically, he said that most Olympic athletes are broke, and they shouldn't waste their money on stuff that they can get better and cheaper elsewhere.
  • ChicagoWalt
    Options
    I've read somewhere that sometimes their 'week' is longer than an actual week.

Having talked to someone who has been a contestant, their "week" can be anywhere from 7-14 days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    3.95 is by dividing 14,229 by 3600 calories burned to lose one pound. The # may indeed be 3500, I mix them up.

You said 31g of fat per pound of body fat. I thought that meant you could therefore oxidize 31g x your body weight x body fat percentage before your body couldn't do it anymore. My calculation actually points to

Where did I go wrong? Did you mean 31 calories, not 31g of fat? Big difference, since 31g of fat must be multiplied by 9 calories per g of fat to convert to calories

A lb of fat is approx. 3,500 calories. I laid out the math - it is 31 cals per g of BF.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    And many of those people end up gaining weight back and struggling with disordered eating. Fast =/= best.

Go slow and get it right this time. Getting your mind right with what you are eating and how much takes time. Creating new routines and habits takes time. If you don't want to find yourself having to keep losing 50lbs or so then figure out how to stop the cycle of yo-yo dieting.

Stick with the 1-2lb/week loss and get not just your body fit, but your mind as well. Don't set yourself up for failure.
    One of many reasons i love you Joy! also ill add that it isnt safe also they are surpervised by doctors through the whole show.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

A lb of fat is approx. 3,500 calories. I laid out the math - it is 31 cals per g of BF.

Gotcha. I also found some sites verifying (restating?) 31 calories per *pound* of body fat per day. For a 220 lb person with 40% bf, that still translates to 5.5lb per week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Gotcha. I also found some sites verifying (restating?) 31 calories per *pound* of body fat per day. For a 220 lb person with 40% bf, that still translates to 5.5lb per week.

Yes, but did you miss my other points?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A lot of their heavier and initial weight losses are water weight. They also have tons of on-site medical professionals present should anything go wrong.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Yes, but did you miss my other points?

Well, the OP might be but I never was interested in those. I literally said the word "interesting" and asked you about the limitation on metabolizing body fat. Which you proceeded to wrongly state the basis of an equation twice, but that's neither here nor there :D