Men's struggles with being fluffy.

I am a 43 yr old man who has struggled all of my adult life with being fluffy. I see so much help advice and support here but the majority of it is geared toward woman. Unfortunately men and woman have differences biologically that effect how we lose/gain weight. I am looking to give and receive advice for the male tribe.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    There are some groups around like this one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115013-guys-on-a-diet-goad
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    bgreen6252 wrote: »
    I am a 43 yr old man who has struggled all of my adult life with being fluffy. I see so much help advice and support here but the majority of it is geared toward woman. Unfortunately men and woman have differences biologically that effect how we lose/gain weight. I am looking to give and receive advice for the male tribe.

eat in a calorie deficit and do some resistance training to retain muscle... that's not gender specific.
  • tristar365
    tristar365 Posts: 16 Member
    above me is right... there's no gender specific way not to be fluffy.

You need to lose weight, get your body fat down and then build some muscle. Before that they won't show.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Biologically different clearly but all genders lose weight due to a sustained calorie deficit.

I was "fluffy" in my 30's and 40's but fixed that in my 50's with a calorie deficit. Also exercised a lot - but I also did that when I was fat, I was one of those fit but fat people.
    I've also struggled with my weight my entire adult life as my natural/intuitive eating level is higher than the level I actually need (a.k.a. greedy!).
    But with vigilance and commitment I don't find maintaining at goal weight any harder than staying fat and it's far more rewarding.

Advice:
    Eat the foods you enjoy in the appropriate amounts.
    Do the exercise you enjoy but make it a priority.
    Build more activity into your daily routine (sit down less, move more).
    Don't expect perfection and you won't be disappointed.
    Focus on the long term not day to day or week to week.