50s and weight gain

Options
For the past a couple years the weight
Has been creeping up. It’s so much harder to lose now at this age. Thus I begin my journey.
Help!!

Replies

• Raven_Hawk
    Raven_Hawk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Okay so our metabolism may slow a little as we age, but the biggest factor is that we may be inclined to move less. Losing weight as a 50+ is the same as losing it at 18. You eat less calories (and/or carbs if that is what works for you) and you up the exercise. So maybe you don't wish to jog any more but nothing wrong with very brisk walking, getting some weights and just getting out and about and moving more.

You are here, so you are obviously looking at your calorie intake. Pick foods you love but that fit into your chosen calorie intake. Try to make it fun. Think of activities that are fun to do. Also, don't over think it. If the thought of exercise really turns you off, just start by walking out that front door, without any real plan but just to enjoy being out and about and walking.

Honestly, it is just the same as when you were young. I am in my mid 60s and find it no more trouble to keep weight off than I did in my 30s.

Best of luck. You have taken the first step..... deciding to start.
  • Raven_Hawk
    Raven_Hawk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh PS forgot this bit..... buy a FitBit or some other exerciser watch thingy. I love mine. If I lose track of time and find myself spending too long at my PC it buzzes me and tells me to get off my backside. It is really fun tracking your exercise, steps taken, sleep and improved resting heart rate.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    70 here and still trying you can do this age is no barrier. Good luck
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I started losing after I turned 50, barring serious medical conditions, up your activity, calories at appropriate level and you will lose. If you are not obese, logging needs to be as accurate as possible. And it will take longer per pound to reduce your weight