How do you deal when cravings hit hard?

Options
I'm struggling this afternoon. I can't stop thinking about food and all I want to do is eat. How do you guys deal with this?

Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly struggling, too, so feel silly to try to help. But staying busy is one strategy. Tackle a big cleaning or organizing project? Start an ambitious meal prep for dinner? Go for a walk? Drink herbal tea? These have worked for me. Good luck!
  • jalyn413
    jalyn413 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest struggle for when I get home. I do well and plan out everything all day at work, and when I get home I want to shove my face w/ anything easily accessible. I do agree, and find that brushing my teeth for sure helps. I have a couple of little puzzle games on my phone too, that if I have a really bad craving (and time allows of course) then I just do a few puzzles and it moves my mind to something else. Still a work in progress though, good luck =)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, take a nap, go for a run....depending on where I am and what time constraints I'm working under. Sometimes, I just say "oh well" and give in to the cravings.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have some water and tell myself - you can have it in an hour (was 30 minutes) By that time I have usually forgotten. For me craving usually I am bored
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    We all struggle with cravings, it's rough. I try to occupy my mind with something else. The thing that probably works the best for me is going for a walk - even if it's only 10 minutes. Typically that's enough for me to sort of get back in a mental state of being able to resist.

If I'm craving something long enough and my mind still keeps going back to it, sometimes I just give in, plan my calories and try to have whatever it is in moderation. I'm not interested in depriving myself for the rest of my life, but in making better choices overall and eating in moderation.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm craving. If it's sweets in the middle of the day I will just tell myself "no stop it" and if I still want them as the day goes on I'll fit them into my nighttime snack. I leave at least 200 calories a day for a nighttime snack or a little extra somethin somethin.

If it's a certain meal then I'll probably skip lunch and just eat the meal for supper.

I plan at least one day eating at maintenance a week. This usually lets me get all my cravings out. If it doesn't then I have 2 maintenance days. Not gaining is sometimes just as good as losing.

If I get cravings late at night for nothing specific but just food I'll take a long hard look at myself in the mirror and say "Elicia, just wait until tomorrow. You're good, we're good, everyone's good. You will eat again before you know it, don't you worry". It seems to work alright lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I set a timer on my watch for 30 minutes or so and drink a bunch of water and carry on with the things I need to do. I reassess at the end, and generally the feeling has passed.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    gkkorade wrote: »
    ... then have good multi vitamins...

This post worded clumsily, but actually the point about a multivitamin is very true! I can't speak for men, but for women, I've heard that sometimes cravings indicate some sort of deficiency in your diet. Have any of you heard this? For example, craving ice cream, may mean your body needs calcium, etc. I wonder how true it is? But anyways, a daily multivitamin is an excellent suggestion!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I cry like a little baby!
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get out of the house and do smt (walking, running etc) that will make it fit into my calories.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I am a big eater and now especially after the holidays and indulging in all the fatty and sweet food I seem to have huge cravings now! What I do is that if I have no more calories left to eat I'll take 2 big glasses of water to fill me up (plus sometimes you think you're hungry when actually you're just thirsty), and I pick a clementine or strawberries for a sweet tooth or brocoli/cauliflower with a tiny bit of light dressing.

At the end of the day, I might have eaten 50-75 more calories than I should have but to me it is better than staying obsessed for hours and having trouble falling asleep!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry but don't think I should be, I try distraction or work around my meals for the day so I can eat sooner rather than later.

If I'm craving something specific, I wait 3 days. If I still have a hankering for it, I plan it into my calories.

If I'm truly hungry, like low blood sugar hungry hungry...I'll eat. Even if it means going over my calories a little bit.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    gkkorade wrote: »
    ... then have good multi vitamins...

This post worded clumsily, but actually the point about a multivitamin is very true! I can't speak for men, but for women, I've heard that sometimes cravings indicate some sort of deficiency in your diet. Have any of you heard this? For example, craving ice cream, may mean your body needs calcium, etc. I wonder how true it is? But anyways, a daily multivitamin is an excellent suggestion!

You’re absolutely correct. Ever since I started taking my new all natural supplements, I have noticed my cravings have drastically decreased and I feel much better. :)