Maca powder and anxiety?

Options
lizzynose
lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I bought Maca powder to help boost the nutrients in my morning smoothies. I had heard good things about it and read it may aid anxiety. This appeals to me as I am a sufferer. However, upon researching further some reports suggest it is not recommended for anxiety sufferers as it can cause palpitations. Can anyone clarify this for me???I was only planning on taking 1tsp per day in a smoothie!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1 tsp would only give you some vitamin c and some copper. Is it worth trying it?

I think I'd stick to eating a satsuma which would be cheaper and give you around the same.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    now then

Mucuna Pruriens is what you need

It is a good source of the amino acid L-dopa which is the precursor to dopamine.
    Lowered dopamine levels are implicated in lots of disorders including anxiety and depression.

Crucially it can cross the blood brain barrier so is highly effective.

I've been taking it for a few months and it has had a really beneficial effect.
    I did stop for two weeks and found symptoms returned.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, do the research. It's cheap enough to try
    for a month.

Just saying, it helped me

I was severely anxious and in deep clinical depression though
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    now then

Mucuna Pruriens is what you need

It is a good source of the amino acid L-dopa which is the precursor to dopamine.
    Lowered dopamine levels are implicated in lots of disorders including anxiety and depression.

Crucially it can cross the blood brain barrier so is highly effective.

I've been taking it for a few months and it has had a really beneficial effect.
    I did stop for two weeks and found symptoms returned.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, do the research. It's cheap enough to try
    for a month.

Just saying, it helped me

I was severely anxious and in deep clinical depression though

So how do you determine how much you need? What's the proper dosage? And what beyond your own experience is proof it works?