Increasing calories as I get closer

Options
I had a question.

So I've recently hit the 50 lbs-lost mark, which means my daily calorie limit is currently 1400 calories. I'm concerned about *too* low a caloric intake, so I was considering changing my goal once I hit 200 lbs from 2 lbs a week to 1; does this sound wise? I'm concerned about increasing my food intake and it causing some kind of stupid feedback loop where my body freaks out at all this new food and I start gaining, or whatever.

Seriously, I have just been counting, and I don't really understand the systems behind it all.

What do you suggest?

For the record, I'm a 28 year old dude currently clocking in around 212-213.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd move it to 1.5lb or 1lb right now. 1400 calories is pretty low for a male.

If you are exercising, make sure you're logging it on MFP and eating the calories it gives you so you are at least netting your calorie goal.

If you give me your height, I could do some calculations for you to give you a better idea about how this all works.

If you up your calorie goal, it won't cause you to gain fat. It WILL however cause some temporary waste and water retention.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure who originally posted this but it is an excellent tool
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.