I'm back after a long hiatus

Options
Roadie2000
Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
edited January 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys, I used to be fairly active on this site a few years ago, but lost some motivation for a while from a lot of ups and downs. But recently turned 41 in December and decided to make some changes to my life.

I quit smoking 22 days and 17 hours ago after 20+ years on and off, not that I'm counting or anything.
I quit playing video games, realized I was wasting way too much time on mobile games and it was effecting my work, mind, and personal life.
I quit drinking pop almost every day for lunch, now I just mostly drink water.
I cut down on caffeine from about 3 cups a day to half a cup to a cup.
I cut down on alcohol, only in social situations now and maybe a small glass of wine with dinner and the occasional beer.
Trying to think about what I eat now, eating more fiber and protein and less crap and empty calories.
And now I'm making an honest effort to go to the gym or work out 3-5 days a week. Previously I was going about once every few weeks on average.

So I'm not really sure what my goals are yet. Sure I'd like to drop about 15-20 lbs but I really just want to feel better. My back has been very sore and stiff lately so I need to get back some strength and flexibility in my core. And basically just get in better overall shape and health so I can live longer and look a bit better.

I can definitely use some new friends and ideas for exercises, programs, or routines. I belong to a great gym with a track, racquetball/tennis/basketball courts, a pool, and pretty much all of the machines and equipment you would need. It's great for variety but I'm the type of person that does a little better with a routine. It seems like the trend these days is just lift heavy but I've done plenty of that in the past and I get bored with it easily now. I'll still do it a couple times a week but I'm experimenting with other things to see what I enjoy most and am most likely to stick with.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Wow! When you make changes you make changes!

I'd say find some activity you love - whether that's hiking, cycling, team sports, pick-up games or whatever. That's the only thing that works for me for exercise.

Welcome back!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Wow! When you make changes you make changes!

I'd say find some activity you love - whether that's hiking, cycling, team sports, pick-up games or whatever. That's the only thing that works for me for exercise.

Welcome back!

Thanks! I actually started to take antidepressants too, which I think were a big help in quitting smoking. Then after I did that it gave me the confidence to make the other changes. It's amazing once you make a conscious effort to make one change it can snowball into other changes.

I do enjoy most sports but the only thing I've had time for lately is playing tennis with the wife. We tell each other we will do it once a week but it's more like once every 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't mind playing more often but I just started and I'm not sure how to find other beginner adults to play with. I think my gym offers lessons but I'd rather just play.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I too just came back yesterday. Feel free to add me.