Having an issue at work, could use some advice!

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
Ok so I work as a personal trainer at a local gym. There is a room called the Impact room where all of my favorite gym toys are kept, like the tractor tires, kickboxing bags, sledgehammers etc, along with a huge assortment of weights and kettlebells. I like to take my clients in there to train because 1) they appreciate the privacy it offers and 2) it's fun to train with those things from time to time.

Now here's my issue. This woman teaches Zumba there 4 times a week, smack dab in the evening at 5pm. This happens to be one of my busiest times. Ever since the Impact room remodeling was finished, she moved her class from the other court she was using to this room. And now since she requires 30 minutes before class and 30 minutes after for "set up" and "clean up" I cannot utilize any of that equipment to train my evening clients. And they aren't too happy about it.....

To top things off, this woman is my boss's wife.

Is there a way I can safely approach this, or am I just SOL?

Replies

• sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ok so I work as a personal trainer at a local gym. There is a room called the Impact room where all of my favorite gym toys are kept, like the tractor tires, kickboxing bags, sledgehammers etc, along with a huge assortment of weights and kettlebells. I like to take my clients in there to train because 1) they appreciate the privacy it offers and 2) it's fun to train with those things from time to time.

Now here's my issue. This woman teaches Zumba there 4 times a week, smack dab in the evening at 5pm. This happens to be one of my busiest times. Ever since the Impact room remodeling was finished, she moved her class from the other court she was using to this room. And now since she requires 30 minutes before class and 30 minutes after for "set up" and "clean up" I cannot utilize any of that equipment to train my evening clients. And they aren't too happy about it.....

Talk to the boss
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the boss over dinner or any meal. If that doesn't work then discuss a schedule with your clients. If nothing else works then maybe you are SOL..
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Fight her for it!!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Why did she switch to this room? Is the other one still available for her use?
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bring it up from the POV of your clients. Tell your boss that your clients wish to utilize the room but it is currently unavailable due to the Zumba class being held at the same time.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

That is a tough scenario. I would take a diplomatic approach of maybe splitting the times. Depending on the personality of the person, it could prove to be quite difficult. Since it is the bosses wife, maybe you can speak with your boss first. It seems to me it is uphill, but just wear a smile and do not take it personal whatever the outcome may be:) Good luck!
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    Do you have more clients then the Zumba class? Are you bringing in more income? That might be ammunition!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    bring it up from the POV of your clients. Tell your boss that your clients wish to utilize the room but it is currently unavailable due to the Zumba class being held at the same time.
    This...tell him about potential client and revenue losses
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    This...tell him about potential client and revenue losses
    Exactly^^^
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    Why did she switch to this room? Is the other one still available for her use?

Yeah it is she just likes it better.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    Such good advice so far.. Thank you.... I have to admit, I am rather nervous about talking to my boss about it because his wife is rather, well, aggressive, especially to him. :/
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    you may have a tough sell because:

Zumba class = 10-20 satisfied gym members
    PT = 1 satisfied gym member

Is the court the class was using a basketball court or racquetball court that is now being used by other gym patrons since she freed it up? or is it an empty class room?

once again, if that allows more gym patrons to be served, you may have a tough sell.

I recommend putting it in monetary terms. How much of your PT $ do you share with the gym? Let's say you share $25 per session. If that client stops PT, the gym loses $100/month. of course, if a couple folks who now get to use the racquetball court had quit, that would have cost the gym more than the $100 anyway.

Your best bet may be to pitch a small group strength class in the room that uses all the fun toys.

otherwise, pretty hard for a gym to make money with only one person in an entire room.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    you may have a tough sell because:

Zumba class = 10-20 satisfied gym members
    PT = 1 satisfied gym member

Is the court the class was using a basketball court or racquetball court that is now being used by other gym patrons since she freed it up? or is it an empty class room?

once again, if that allows more gym patrons to be served, you may have a tough sell.

I recommend putting it in monetary terms. How much of your PT $ do you share with the gym? Let's say you share $25 per session. If that client stops PT, the gym loses $100/month. of course, if a couple folks who now get to use the racquetball court had quit, that would have cost the gym more than the $100 anyway.

Your best bet may be to pitch a small group strength class in the room that uses all the fun toys.

otherwise, pretty hard for a gym to make money with only one person in an entire room.

The other court is available for use, but it hardly ever gets used... It's a racquetball court and there's not very many members that use it.... But you are right, it all comes down to money and it would be an extremely tough sell. I don't think the Zumba goers would care what court room its in honestly, but she does.

I am currently actually starting up a group class next week in that room, but its in the morning. My pm clients won't be able to make it, and I can't hold a PM class because of her zumba class and her "mandatory" 30 minutes before and after.... Perhaps she may come off that though....
  • NdigoBlue
    Options
    Its a tough situation. Put together a planned approach and speak to her directly to see if you two can come to some common ground. Be as diplomatic as possible and see if she is open to your ideas. If not consider if its worth involving your boss and the potential of having friction from her.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, discuss with your boss by asking for their thoughts and suggestions. Dont complain, say that you need to be able to access your equipment and ask if there are there any options that your boss can think of.

When I was in University I remember learning about "managerial preferences", thats something your boss does that you cant change. You either learn to live with it or change your job.

Bad situation...I feel for you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would just talk to her about it. From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to shut down popular equipment during the busiest time of day for most gyms. She probably doesn't realize what she's doing.

Don't be confrontational. Just say what you said here and ask her if you can work something out.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Can you relocate your clients favorite things like the tire and sledgehammer to the old room? If so, that might aleviate the issue if talking with the boss doesn't work out. Always good to have a back up plan!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    A wise woman once told me that is you are in a situation where you know you cannot change, the situation is not going to change, the only thing to do is leave. That being said, I would not talk to this boss unless you come up with a positive spin on a change to increase his business. ie: move the equipment to a different location, if available. I would try laying the problem on this womans shoulders, ask her advice on how to handle it..
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. One of these days you'll be the boss.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm not that familiar with Zumba so maybe there's something that I don't know about it....but what kind of set up and clean up does it need? Especially that would take 30 minutes before and after?

Unless it's a Zumba cooking class. That I might understand.