How accurate is the step counter?

Options
Here's the deal, I did about 2 miles on the treadmill today. Walking around doing stuff at work yada yada yada...

Now I was in a skid steer loader today and somehow I am close to 6 miles steps completed. Is the loader giving bonus steps (free calories lol)? How sensitive is the step counter (default iPhone settings)?

Has anyone else had this situation before?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, I did about 2 miles on the treadmill today. Walking around doing stuff at work yada yada yada...

Now I was in a skid steer loader today and somehow I am close to 6 miles steps completed. Is the loader giving bonus steps (free calories lol)? How sensitive is the step counter (default iPhone settings)?

Has anyone else had this situation before?

It's jiggling around and thinking you're walking. I was just in Tanzania over the holidays and did 9 days out on safari in a Land Cruiser all day...the bumpy dirt roads made my phone think I was walking around rather than sitting or standing in the vehicle...it routinely logged over 25K steps per day...obviously I didn't take that many steps as I was in the vehicle for 8-10 hours per day.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yes it is giving you false steps 100%

My ride to work takes about 1:10 down a bumpy Siberian highway. My old Fitbit Blaze would give me somewhere between 3-4000 extra steps. I have since switched to a Fenix 5 and it would give me about 400. I now make a conscious effort to power my watch down before I get into the vehicle.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah okay, thought something was up with this phone. I got a bonus of 250+ calories that are illegitimately gained.

I'll disable it when I operate machinery.