Protein shakes for breakfast???

Hi everyone. Back story. I did MFP off and on the first part of last year but over the last 6 months a mix of life changes and depression got me off track and I gained some of the weight back. I’m trying to get a routine going (I know I’m a creature of habit so once I develop a habit I’m good). I just started a job working 8-5 ish. What I want to try doing is go to the gym in the mornings before work and drink protein shake for breakfast. Has anyone tried this? Does it leave you hungry soon after? I just don’t want to do it and then be starving or have the shakes 2 hours before my lunch break. I’m also planning to start personal training sessions for a little while for some assistance. Any advice is appreciated?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    A protein shake does nothing to fill me up. I use a protein shake to supplement...that's all it is. A protein shake isn't designed to be a meal replacement as it has no other nutrients...it's just a protein supplement that can be helpful if you aren't hitting your protein targets with other food.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    I have a protein shake and a black
    Coffee first thing, sees me though till
    Lunch
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Protein, fiber and fat are filling components but it's not the same combination for everyone. If your shake is not filling you might need to supplement it with a handful of nuts (fat) are add a piece of fruit (fiber). A meal replacement shake is something else to consider.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm afraid this is a question you'll have to answer for yourself. Everyone's different; some of us stay un-hungry longer with protein and fat, others with a more carb-heavy balance. Some of us do just fine with a protein shake for breakfast, some need solid food. And everyone's meal timing is a little different.

Give the shakes a try for a few days, but keep something for just-in-case later -- a couple of hardboiled eggs, cheese, an apple, instant oatmeal. You'll learn quickly what works best for you. And don't let someone else dictate your food and meal times (other than your lunch hour at work, I mean). You get to choose those for yourself.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I generally eat bran cereal of some sort (usually All Bran Buds) with some almond milk, and then drink a 60g protein shake. It keeps me going mostly until either a mid-morning snack or lunch. Protein shakes by themselves don't satiate me very long, maybe an hour or two, I mostly drink them to supplement my protein for the day since my goals are in the 150g-180g range most days for protein.