You folks scare me...

Options

Replies

• threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I’m the same.... kind of. We had a kitchen scale I brought it out one day to play with and it’s so much easier than measuring for me. I’m not precise with it but it’s better than eyeballing or measuring on things like rice which if I want I can get way more than 30g into a 1/4 cup
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    mbminx wrote: »
    Everyone here seems so gung-ho about everything. Weighing and measuring down to the last crumb of food, working out for hours - it's all too much!

Yes, I want to make changes. Yes, I want to lose weight. Yes, I (eventually) want to start exercising. But I don't want to lose my mind over it all!

I'm prone to obsession, and a few times have found myself on the edge of an eating disorder. I really have concerns that if I start weighing every single drop of everything, I am going to tip over into something really unhealthy. I'm happy to work with my measuring cups and spoons, but taking everything to the gram is just a bit much to me.

Is there any hope for me? I'm keeping the food diary, and I am measuring ingredients and portions. Some days succeeding better than others, but holding a decent average. I'm more interested in healthy balanced eating than in micromanaging down to the last calorie. Any improvement is a big change.

But seriously - is anyone here NOT viciously rigid, but still having success? I've just been lurking, but I don't see a lot of people who take a more relaxed view - there's a lot of pressure to be all in.

I know that community can be helpful when making huge lifestyle changes... I just can't decide if I should try to fit in here.

Any advice, suggestions, similar experiences?
    Thank you.

I have a digital food scale but I don't weight EVERYTHING. I did not even have the scale when I lost the first 25 lbs. but I had 100 lbs. to lose (have 65 to go, CW is 203). I had a large deficit of 1000 calories but I could still lose even if I wasn't that accurate--I also exercised a lot so had anywhere from 1000-1500 calories burned and 500 calories of inaccuracies, I could still lose. I'm now only set to lose 1 lb. per week, so just a 500 calorie deficit so I do need to be more precise if I want to lose at that rate. I do try to log everything even if I don't weight it, or I eat out and it's an estimate.

The reason why is because I am still FAT and I want to get the weight off, so of course I'm going to do the best I can do. I haven't ever had an eating disorder or OCD, so I can't relate to how this could be a problem. I believe if you are afraid it's going to be a problem, then perhaps you would be better off with a different approach--one that creates a deficit to lose weight, but you don't have to do so much tracking. (I don't have much faith in those ways since I've tried them and they can work if by chance you are in a deficit, but if the BED is looming then one has to make choices).
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    All these tools are effective--but if you try to do everything perfectly you will likely burn out. Do what works for you-- down the road if you need to tighten things up you will have lots of options!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Count calories to the best that you are able and then see your results.
    I've been mostly weighing and mostly recording most things most days and have lost 22 lbs. It will get harder though to do this sloppily and still succeed (I started with 80 lbs to lose)
    I find weighing food much easier than measuring for what it's worth.
    I use the tare function on the scale. Put bowl on scale. Press tare button. But first food in bowl. Write down number. Press tare. Put second food in. Press tare. And so on...

Do what works best for you. Work the plan how you want to work it, and if you aren't getting results, adjust accordingly.

• ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weight and measure everything because if I am eating some I really like; I want to make sure I got as much as I logged. (Hello ice cream!) But also I have health issues. I have to be very careful it effects my health. But I think everyone here will tell you to take a day at a time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say weighing everything is "gung-ho". Many people underestimate how much they're eating, and using a food scale helps them keep that in check. If you're one who can lose without weighing/measuring, more power to you.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale isn't different from using measuring cups. My main uses:

1. I'll prelog a food and then weigh out that amount. If it's a bit off, I don't sweat it, but it gives me an accurate portion to aim for. Particularly with high calorie foods like ice cream, it's a lot more accurate to weigh it out versus try to guess at a volume.

2. It helps divide up food I cook for several meals into even portions, rather than being really hungry one day when I get the small portion.

3. It means I don't have to wash the measuring cups :smiley:
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    After you weigh your food for a while, you'll have a good idea of reasonable portion sizes. So, no, you don't necessarily have to continue it forever. But, without it, you may be drastically over or underestimating/measuring.

I think some of us find it freeing, really, to be careful with the weighing. We can enjoy every bit knowing we're maintaining the weight we want. It's less stressful for me.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Accurate weighing iand logging is very helpful if you want to be able to track and record results, and tweak if it isn't working.
    Mostly accurate weighing makes sure you know where you are, and keeps reminding you to pay attention to what you are eating and doing. And helps keep you on track and mindful.
    Sporadic weighing and logging generally does notning but nake you feel guilty, and is generally a waste of time, but it is where most people start for a bit, until they decide to either quit or get serious.
    Generally speaking, or is not neccesary to be particularly gung ho, but for many people this is a tool for changing awhole lifestyle and years worth of poor habits. So going in whole hog is the easiest way for them to keep mindfulness in the front of thier minds. And for others, they may not get too excited unteil they start seeing results, but that will kick them into making bigger changes overall, and tnat can also be exciting as well as intimidating. And tbey become much more active on the forums for a while until they settle in again. I belong to tbe last group, lol.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When I started mfp I began logging food, but never made myself crazy about it. I just tried to be honest about what I ate. I lost over 35lbs and have kept it off for over a year now
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Everyone here seems so gung-ho about everything. Weighing and measuring down to the last crumb of food, working out for hours - it's all too much!

Yes, I want to make changes. Yes, I want to lose weight. Yes, I (eventually) want to start exercising. But I don't want to lose my mind over it all!

I'm prone to obsession, and a few times have found myself on the edge of an eating disorder. I really have concerns that if I start weighing every single drop of everything, I am going to tip over into something really unhealthy. I'm happy to work with my measuring cups and spoons, but taking everything to the gram is just a bit much to me.

Is there any hope for me? I'm keeping the food diary, and I am measuring ingredients and portions. Some days succeeding better than others, but holding a decent average. I'm more interested in healthy balanced eating than in micromanaging down to the last calorie. Any improvement is a big change.

But seriously - is anyone here NOT viciously rigid, but still having success? I've just been lurking, but I don't see a lot of people who take a more relaxed view - there's a lot of pressure to be all in.

I know that community can be helpful when making huge lifestyle changes... I just can't decide if I should try to fit in here.

Thank you.

Me. Because I am a recovered bulimic I have always done measuring cups or even eyeballing and I lost from 225 to 160. Did some stress eating over the last 18 months because of a sick kid and my MIL's sudden death and gained about 20 pounds which I am now taking back off.

Will it work faster if you measure everything? Yes. However, if you feel it's mentally bad for you, then don't. Just know it's going to be slower.

Oh, and probably don't eyeball. My grandparents had a dairy farm and my aunt a restaurant. I am good at eyeballing because I was good a measuring to the ounce first. After a long while selling precise portions, my eyeballing was pretty darned close to that food scale.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I log but I don't have a food scale, still losing weight. I've lost 7 pounds since the end of November when I started. 5 more before I started MFP. I also started exercising but I'm taking the winter off because it's too hard to get there by bus and still losing.

Edit: I'm down another 2 pounds this morning.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

Edit

Thank you.

Gung -ho? Nope I have a life and fitness is part of it. I still go out for dinner and occasionally have a meal that just does not fit the gung ho type at all.
    Working out for hours Yes I do................now. I started with simply walking more Nothing like what I do now. I actually have it charted. Went from 2 hours a week to on average 12 Took me 4 years though
    Weiging and meassuring everything: At times yes, but this suually aimed at those that do not loose as portion control is a big part of learning how to deal with food. I weigh high desity food but for instance can't be bothered about things like lettuce. My guestimation skills are honed for many things now but that too toook trainign and time and the scale was a good way to learn.

So my advice is - start small steps going forward. Learn portion control (and yes that is scale work) when you have an option to move do it. No need to immediately adopt a lifestyle that took many of years to get too. Enjoy the learning process and read the boards carefully There is a wealth of information there and we really are just normal people with lives to lead and our ups and downs in MFP logging
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying. This website is highly focused on CICO and being very meticulous with calorie counting and weighing. But the site is also really flexible for those who want to use it differently. You have people on here who fast, or who don't count calories at all. If you want to get support for a more "laid back" approach to weight loss, there are plenty of groups here who can support you. The reason the site is so popular is because many people have found that the only way to be successful is to be very rigid around what they are eating. MFP is almost flawless for helping to do that. So YES, MFP can be for you. Try it on for size, find a good support group and go for it. Remember that you can use this site as freely as you like. It can be tailored for you. WELCOME and good luck.