CHOCOLATE

Options
I crave chocolate all the time- and limiting myself to one piece of dark chocolate isn't doing it! Does anyone have any healthier substitutions for chocolate? I've heard carob? Never tried it. Thank you!!

Replies

• thatonegirl0619
    Options
    I like chocolate Special K, and sometimes for a snack I pack some chocolate cheerios. I also love the chocolate SMART protein shakes!
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    Are you okay with a chocolate drink? I always make a my healified version of a chocolate milkshake when I'm craving chocolate.

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup of fat free vanilla yogurt
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    dash of vanilla extract
    - tbs chocolate syrup
    - 1 cup skim milk
    -ice to thicken

YUMMY! Blend in the blender. It rings in at about 200 calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get the 100 calorie bars from Trader Joe's. They're delicious too... and individually wrapped so it's easier not to get another one.

Honestly though if I crave chocolate, those substitutes just won't do it. In the end I end up eating the substitute AND the chocolate because the craving didn't go away.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I get chocolate chips from costco. 15 grams is 70 calories and you can stretch out the chocolate experience because you can eat one chip at a time.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    just eat it
    exercise
    stay under calories
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    low fat frozen yogurt
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted a one serving brownie recipe for under 100 calories, you should check it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/936399-5-min-chocolate-brownie-low-cal
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip brownie bark from Costco. 2 large pieces are only 40 calories!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You rang?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Fiber One makes a really awesome 80 calorie chocolate cereal! Other than that, Creamies chocolate ice cream bars are a nice snack :)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have fiber one bars, oat and chocolate one-- kills the craving for half the calories of the chocolate bar and gives you 9 grams of fiber and some protein

don't overlook diet fudgesicle bars, I think they are about 40 calories
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I do the chocolate chip thing too. Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate chips. 8 of them are 40 calories. Suck on them sloooowwwly and it helps the craving.

I always have to laugh at the people who make cookies and brownies and say "just 1 is only 50/80/100 calories!". If I could eat just one I wouldn't have the problems I have!
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i love chocolate too. hahaha. who doesn't? maybe drink chocolate milk.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    just eat it
    exercise
    stay under calories

This!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate all the time- and limiting myself to one piece of dark chocolate isn't doing it! Does anyone have any healthier substitutions for chocolate? I've heard carob? Never tried it. Thank you!!

oooh i love dark chocolate. just eat the chocolate. one square is usually a tiny little piece, so if one isn't cutting it then have a couple...

IMO carob does NOT taste like chocolate at all and will not satisfy a chocolate craving
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think there's any substitute for the real thing. Just work it into your calorie goal/macros and you're all set.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers chocolate baked bars.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I make myself a Kraft dark chocolate lava cake, and it's so awesome.....and satisfies my craving. And it's not from a box, it's from homemade ingredients....so I can justify that one treat.

Life is just too short.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    most people who crave chocolate actually crave sugar

(unless, like me, you lust after 100% cacao...in which case you might be in need of magnesium lol)

add some raw or good quality cacao powder (not drinking chocolate) to yoghurt, smoothies, protein shakes, whatever.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat something chocolatey every night! Usually Chocolate Vitatops or Skinny Cow.