Yoga: Cardio or Strength Training

Options
Do you log your yoga as cardio or strength training? Why?

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I log regular yoga as low impact aerobics and power yoga as aerobics - general. You don't get calories credit for strength training, and I am definitely burning calories. Those choices appear to result in numbers that are about right.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What type of yoga are you doing? To get a calorie burn estimate in MFP, you must log it under cardio. When you use the yoga selection or hatha yoga.......it's a low calorie burner.

I've done some power yoga, it got my heart rate up a little (maybe I'm not experienced enough).....but I wouldn't consider it aerobics.

Yoga can have an element of strength/resistance training....handstand & such are like body weight exercises.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Don't log anything for training
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I log yoga under yoga. I do Iyengar Yoga, the calories are petty low, but accurate, for it.

I log my weight training in the cardio section too, and eat those calories.

Cheers, h.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I log my yoga under cardio. I do power yoga. MFP gives me 120 calories for an hour and I generally aim to eat back half of my exersize calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a "gentle" form of yoga, I'd be cautious about overestimating calorie burn from it. I've seen very high estimates of yoga calories on MFP.