help with portion control

Options
Hi Everyone,

So i really need help with portion control. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been trying to gain weight...and I still would like to add a few more pounds. I am female, 5'4 started at 110 pounds and I am now 140. I am aiming for 145. I have begin to notice over the past 5-6 months that I eat large amounts with no problem and will get dessert , then about 3 hours later I am eating big again. I know this is needed to put on weight, but how can I start to prepare for the maintance phase? I feel like my eating is worse than it has ever been, not with choices, but with the amount that I eat...

Help!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? Set calories to maintenance.
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I haven't been on here, but I have been keeping track of calories. I plan to set to maintance after I gain the last 5 pounds.

For me it is not a matter of logging. I still feel like i am eating too much, but yet my stomach doesnt feel that way...
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    naj1991 wrote: »

I haven't been on here, but I have been keeping track of calories. I plan to set to maintance after I gain the last 5 pounds.

For me it is not a matter of logging. I still feel like i am eating too much, but yet my stomach doesnt feel that way...
    But if you log, you can know for sure, not just feel.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned a study somewhere - that basically said obese tend to underestimate food they eat and underweight people overestimate - so if you aren't measuring/logging food, you could still be undereating
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I meant to ask, but it's none of my business so you don't have to answer, but are you sure aiming for the top end of normal BMI is necessary? Just as keeping a lower weight is harder for anyone who tends to overeat, keeping a higher weight is harder for someone who tends to undereat.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Thank you! It was very interesting to read. And I too have to say that the OP has a smashing body!
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It was very interesting to read. And I too have to say that the OP has a smashing body!

well that OP is me lol so thanks.

and yes, for me i think so (gainiing to the high end of the bmi chart for my height). I'd like to look fuller, more curvy etc. I still get called skinny at 140...by all races and both men and women. I dont get asked if I eat anymore lol after gaining 30 pounds I think thats clear! I think the misconception here is that I just plan to eat and gain fat. I plan to continue to lift weights, and I am currently very healty. I get labs every 6 months. I only eat "junk" on weekends. I have gained fat along with muscle, which i dont mind...considering when i was 110 my body fat was lower then 14% which is not okay for women (i was 21). Most ppl still guess my weight wrong, thinking im alot less than 140.. usually guessing around 125-130, when Im actually 140. (ill post a current photo).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Just like you get used to eating more, you get used to eating a bit less. When I have to transition from gaining to maintenance then to deficit, it is quite a jump, but you don't have to do it all at once... you can slowly cut 100 cals here, 100 cals there. Use lower calorie dressings, sauces, cut down a snack or switch it to something else (ex. small single serve ice cream vs 1/3 a pint of B&J, yogurt with fruit vs. a protein mug cake etc). Also high volume/fibre and filling foods help. Big salads, stir fry with tons of veggies, etc. At first it can be difficult.. but you get used to it.