Getting enough protein on a deficit?

I have a really hard time even getting like 50-60 grams of protein while staying under my calorie goal. All the protein powders I have tried are like 100-200 calories per scoop. How do you get a good amount of protein while still staying low calorie?

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Not too sure what your calorie goal is in a day but mine is 1840 and I have no problem getting in anywhere between 100-150 g of protein each day, all coming from tuna, eggs, milk, beef. etc

Tuna and eggs are by far the biggest game-changers in terms of protein consumption. Everything after that is secondary and hardly noticeable.

Assuming they're 100-200 calories per scoop and most of the calories in the powder are coming directly from protein (say 90%), that's 22.5-45 g of protein from just one scoop. That's well over 1/3 of your daily protein consumption from an insignificant calorie source. If your diet is 1200+ calories, you should have no problems hitting 50-60 g protein per day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    What's your calorie target?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

The downloadable google spreadsheet linked in the first message of this thread is all the most protein-dense foods available. Tuna, egg whites, cod, turkey, etc.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Same problem here. Much of what I've heard/read is that for strength training I should be aiming for 1gm protein/lb. I weigh 170, so 170 g of protein is called for. I have no clue how to practically get that much protein without going over calories (1500). I am happy if at the end the day I hit 100g.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Isopure unflavored whey protein is 106 calories for 25 grams of protein. Since protein is 4 calories/gram, you can't get much better than that. 25 grams puts a nice dent in my daily protein need and is well worth the 106 calories.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Same problem here. Much of what I've heard/read is that for strength training I should be aiming for 1gm protein/lb. I weigh 170, so 170 g of protein is called for. I have no clue how to practically get that much protein without going over calories (1500). I am happy if at the end the day I hit 100g.

A slight misconception there, it's recommended you get 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, not bodyweight. So if you were 170 lbs and say 12% bodyfat, that means you'd be carrying 149.6 lbs of lean body mass, and that would be your protein target, not the 170. Also I'd tip it more toward 0.8-0.9. 1 gram per pound can be a little excessive for some people.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member

A slight misconception there, it's recommended you get 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, not bodyweight. So if you were 170 lbs and say 12% bodyfat, that means you'd be carrying 149.6 lbs of lean body mass, and that would be your protein target, not the 170. Also I'd tip it more toward 0.8-0.9. 1 gram per pound can be a little excessive for some people.

Oh, that's good to know! I don't have a clue what my bf is but it isn't anywhere near 12%, maybe 20%. Which at .8 g would be 108g. Pretty close to my daily 100 if I just figured that all out right. :smile:
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Lean meats, eggs, cheese and yogurt are all great sources of protein and probably taste better and far more satisfying than powders.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Beef jerky is only 240 cals for 80grams (sometimes less calories depends on the brand) and AT LEAST 30g protein. 180 grams raw boneless skinless chicken breast is 217 calories and 40g protein. There's 70g right there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Chicken breast, canned tuna, shrimp, lentils, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Morningstar prime grillers (meatless burger), jerky.