2»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    kae612 wrote: »
    Also, learn what pain is simply DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and what is an injury. Let injuries heal but work through DOMS. Yes, you have to give yourself rest days with any kind of exercise, especially in the beginning. But, don't let one rest day turn into a rest week. Keep moving and you'll find the soreness goes away much quicker.

Yes I absolutely need to figure that out. I have had so many serious health issues I kinda jump when I have pain. At the same time, I thought my DVT was just a sore calf muscle from exercising (and to be fair so did a nurse), and when I dislocated my kneecap I was like “oh I just pulled a muscle whatever” until my knee was basically watermelon sized.....lol.

And re: strength training:

It is a good idea, and I plan to do so eventually. However, I am worried I may need to be stronger doing every day things like walking to begin something like that. I am doing a physio regime to help strengthen certain weak muscles (glutes, ankles, calves) that are not yet at normal function. I wouldn’t want to add more weight to the weak spots before they can carry me as is, or I get smaller. That’s why cycling is good, because it relieves my legs from my body weight, while working those muscles to build functional strength.

I feel where you're coming from but remember, strength training starts at ground zero and works up from there. If you have to start with the lightest weight possible, it doesn't matter. Not like cycling (and don't get me wrong - I LOVE cycling), where you have to work with a minimum weight (you plus the bike) or even running (your bodyweight), with strength training, you start wherever you feel comfortable but challenged. If this is a 1lb weight or 150lbs, that's fine! You start there and move up from there. I wish someone had explained it to me when I was at my heaviest and I'd be a hell of a lot stronger now :smile:

Am I wrong though, but eg. squatting with a weight is your bodyweight + the weight? Lifting a dumbbell is adding that weight through all your body, thus increasing pressure on the knees, back, etc? It seems like everything is your body + The Thing, unless it is done on the floor, seated, or in water? I suppose lifting dumbbells while seated might avoid any knee issue...although I never see people doing that at the gym lol. I'd have to bring a chair :P
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Also, learn what pain is simply DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and what is an injury. Let injuries heal but work through DOMS. Yes, you have to give yourself rest days with any kind of exercise, especially in the beginning. But, don't let one rest day turn into a rest week. Keep moving and you'll find the soreness goes away much quicker.

Yes I absolutely need to figure that out. I have had so many serious health issues I kinda jump when I have pain. At the same time, I thought my DVT was just a sore calf muscle from exercising (and to be fair so did a nurse), and when I dislocated my kneecap I was like “oh I just pulled a muscle whatever” until my knee was basically watermelon sized.....lol.

It is a good idea, and I plan to do so eventually. However, I am worried I may need to be stronger doing every day things like walking to begin something like that. I am doing a physio regime to help strengthen certain weak muscles (glutes, ankles, calves) that are not yet at normal function. I wouldn’t want to add more weight to the weak spots before they can carry me as is, or I get smaller. That’s why cycling is good, because it relieves my legs from my body weight, while working those muscles to build functional strength.

I feel where you're coming from but remember, strength training starts at ground zero and works up from there. If you have to start with the lightest weight possible, it doesn't matter. Not like cycling (and don't get me wrong - I LOVE cycling), where you have to work with a minimum weight (you plus the bike) or even running (your bodyweight), with strength training, you start wherever you feel comfortable but challenged. If this is a 1lb weight or 150lbs, that's fine! You start there and move up from there. I wish someone had explained it to me when I was at my heaviest and I'd be a hell of a lot stronger now :smile:

Am I wrong though, but eg. squatting with a weight is your bodyweight + the weight? Lifting a dumbbell is adding that weight through all your body, thus increasing pressure on the knees, back, etc? It seems like everything is your body + The Thing, unless it is done on the floor, seated, or in water? I suppose lifting dumbbells while seated might avoid any knee issue...although I never see people doing that at the gym lol. I'd have to bring a chair :P

Well, just sit on a bench--no chair needed!

I tweaked my lower back doing deadlifts a few months ago, so had to rest it for a while. There are a lot of things you can do to avoid putting too much pressure on your back or your knees, depending on where the problem is. A few lifts you can do seated are bicep or hammer curls, shrugs, OH presses, OH triceps press, Arnold presses, front raises, lateral raises. You can lie back and do some lighter chest presses. These won't replace lifts that might be putting too much stress on your back or knees, but they can fill in while you need to rest an overworked area.

There are probably a lot of machines you could use as well, especially for legs, that would not be stressors.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

You can squat without holding anything at all! I started doing body weight exercises back in September (I was maybe 180-185 lbs or so at the time) and it has blown my mind how awesome it feels. I started off doing the Nerd Fitness beginner body weight circuit 2-3 times a week - there are only a handful of exercises in it so you can google videos and how-tos, and it provides a really great starting point for more advanced stuff down the line (I did freaking BURPEES this morning - WHAAAT???).
  • kiela64
    Options

You can squat without holding anything at all! I started doing body weight exercises back in September (I was maybe 180-185 lbs or so at the time) and it has blown my mind how awesome it feels. I started off doing the Nerd Fitness beginner body weight circuit 2-3 times a week - there are only a handful of exercises in it so you can google videos and how-tos, and it provides a really great starting point for more advanced stuff down the line (I did freaking BURPEES this morning - WHAAAT???).

Yes I know haha I mean like, if you need to be careful already doing things like body weight squats, adding weight is not a good idea. That's why I feel like I wouldn't want to get into weight bearing exercises just yet, until I can do things like bodyweight squats without fear of injury. I can do some, but not yet with the confidence I won't push myself too far.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Yes I know haha I mean like, if you need to be careful already doing things like body weight squats, adding weight is not a good idea. That's why I feel like I wouldn't want to get into weight bearing exercises just yet, until I can do things like bodyweight squats without fear of injury. I can do some, but not yet with the confidence I won't push myself too far.

I know for me, I have bad knees so when they're bugging me, I'll do the leg press at the gym. On that machine, I can choose to do 100 lbs instead of squatting with my 220+ pounds of body weight, it's a little easier on my joints and I'm still doing resistance training.
  • themonkboughtlunch
    Options
    Hugs. I have chronic back and pelvic pain and exercising is a struggle.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Hello, .. u sound like my struggle. I found i have a sluggish thyroid. Dr s mostly say its fine but naturopath s are more accurate when it comes to finer and more individual needs and problems ive found.

Hello everyone,

I get the impression i have upset some guys out there and just want to apologise, i obiously misinterpreted what i was trying to say. I was hoping to share the light i had with my weight problem.
    I have a sluggish thyroid and always tired. When im bad, I have pain in my limbs when i lift them, they feel heavy and can wait to sit or lie down. Weight gain was a problem. Irrispect of excercise or food. Id feel hungury and excercise was terrible i wasnt enjoying it at all. Plus i wasnt getting much from it either.
    I do not have anything against any of the medical profession. Everyone has their part and place , working together to get us well and to keep us there. It just so happened in my story that my GP couldnt find anything wrong with my thyroid but my naturopath was able to help.
    Please except my apologies. I wish all a happy, safe, fit and healthy journey. <3o:)
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Focus on nutrition first. Maybe try to add in a walk around your house a few times a day. Start slowly!!!
    Right now Im dealing with a shoulder and knee injury, so Im super limited in what I do. Im trying to make sure I eat properly so I fuel healing, and lose weight. Somedays Im lucky if I make it on the stationary bike 5 mins. I do what I can though. I have a fitbit charge HR that I use for tracking total calories and my exercise. It will buzz at me every hour to walk.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Just to be clear, your “physio” IS “strength training”. If you are doing exercises that you are comfortable with and can do without pain, you will benefit from looking for ways to safely and progressively increase the load. That might mean slightly increasing resistance or increasing repetitions.

There might also be ways to expand some of the exercises you are doing to include more muscle groups. This can include modified body weight exercises, using small weights, bands, etc. “Strength training” can include more than lifting weights. It means starting off with whatever movements you can tolerate, then gradually and progressively increasing the resistance. That can be as basic or as gradual as necessary. It can mean starting with mobilization and stretching.

I go into this much detail, because I think doing some “bodywork” that you can tolerate can play a big role in increasing how comfortable you feel doing physical activity.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Just to be clear, your “physio” IS “strength training”. If you are doing exercises that you are comfortable with and can do without pain, you will benefit from looking for ways to safely and progressively increase the load. That might mean slightly increasing resistance or increasing repetitions.

There might also be ways to expand some of the exercises you are doing to include more muscle groups. This can include modified body weight exercises, using small weights, bands, etc. “Strength training” can include more than lifting weights. It means starting off with whatever movements you can tolerate, then gradually and progressively increasing the resistance. That can be as basic or as gradual as necessary. It can mean starting with mobilization and stretching.

I go into this much detail, because I think doing some “bodywork” that you can tolerate can play a big role in increasing how comfortable you feel doing physical activity.

True, thanks for this reminder. I agree. I ended up actually....getting my toenail ripped nearly off completely (dumb, it just got caught on my laundry basket right after it was trimmed and a little rough). So my limited walking/cycling has been cut to pretty much nil for the next couple weeks until it grows back, because it's too painful. And I ended up getting super upset and angry - and wanted to do crunches. I've been doing some more core-based things. And I do have a pair of dumbbells I don't know how to use properly that I'll probably give a go seated/laying down.
  • Warriormonk73
    Warriormonk73 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving and challenging yourself even if just a little. keep a log. Strive to increase resistance/length of your workouts. Take your time, it is not a race. Good luck.