Zero Energy Since January 1st

Options
I didn't know where to post this, but I wanted to get your opinions.

Since the new year, I've had an awful time getting back up to speed with workouts and really just my energy as a whole. As soon as 6pm rolls around, I'm dead. I usually crash and take a little nap, but I hate doing that as the days are short enough as it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build my energy levels back up? My assumption is working out should help, but it's hard to get focused and motivated. It's a vicious cycle.

Also, I'm a caffeine-free individual ever since I just about killed my heart last October with it. So that's also no bueno.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Did you perhaps change your diet at the start of the new year? Maybe you've cut to many calories?
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Your heart can cause you to feel sluggish like that. Are you for sure that’s been thoroughly checked? I get what you’re saying tho. Once you get out of a routine with working out it’s hard to get back into it. I actually worked out 6 days this week and didn’t even realize it until I looked over my Fitbit info. My goal was only set to 4! Just start out going back everyday or every other day if you can to do small things until you build your momentum back up. Have a banana or some carb before you go since you don’t do caffeine. There’s nothing wrong with a good nap either. Best wishes!
  • Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did you perhaps change your diet at the start of the new year? Maybe you've cut to many calories?

No, if anything, I've been taking in a little more. It's mostly been about the same though. Good thought though. Thanks!
    Your heart can cause you to feel sluggish like that. Are you for sure that’s been thoroughly checked? I get what you’re saying tho. Once you get out of a routine with working out it’s hard to get back into it. I actually worked out 6 days this week and didn’t even realize it until I looked over my Fitbit info. My goal was only set to 4! Just start out going back everyday or every other day if you can to do small things until you build your momentum back up. Have a banana or some carb before you go since you don’t do caffeine. There’s nothing wrong with a good nap either. Best wishes!

Thank you. It's a little disconcerting that you mention that. In October of last year, I went through my first encounter with heart PACs and arrhythmia. I had been drinking one sugar free Rip It (energy drink), several bottles of black tea, and maybe a Mountain Dew here and there daily...It was way too much caffeine, and my heart just crapped out. Things have seemed fine since then, so I'm really not too worried, but I will definitely go get it checked out if this continues.

Some warm weather is on the way (however temporary it may be), so that'll be a great opportunity to get outside and get moving again. I'll fuel up with some fruit or carbs before I go too...I have a bad habit of neglecting the fuel before I do something like that then I feel worse during and after a walk or workout.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    The cold weather doesn't make it easy to get out and move, but now that it's warming up and the sun is shining, hopefully it will be easier. As said above, a week isn't a lot of time to figure out what, if anything is going on. It could be SADD, could be post holiday depression, or it could be something more physical like fighting off the flu, iron deficiency, low thyroid, etc. I would try to get out, even if you aren't in the mood, and see if it feels better after you exercise. When I'm depressed, exercising outdoors usually helps. If it doesn't feel better, and the exhaustion persists, get to a doctor and get some bloodwork done.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I lived in the cold and dark of Alaska for 18 years. I found it helpful to read the morning newspaper next to a SAD light. When you feel it’s time for a short nap, DON’T. It will affect the quality of your sleep that night, which can make you feel pretty lethargic the next day. My 80 year old father had an arrhythmia incident three years ago, and again this fall. He forces himself to take a 45 minute walk through the woods by his house every day, regardless of weather or motivation. He sometimes will eat a protein or granola bar beforehand. Also, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can make you feel fatigued. (He does start his day with a cup of coffee, which his doc said is okay for him.)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know where you live but I always feel a little sluggish this time of year and I don't even live where it's cold so DebLaBounty might have a point about SAD. Until the holidays the excitement and activities keep me going but after the first of the year . . . blah.

This year I actually booked a short (5 day) cruise this month. Looking forward to it helps, also I get 5 days to myself to rest and regenerate after the stress of the last three months. I know that's not practical for everyone, but on a day off, plan a day trip somewhere you've never been. You never know, the change of scenery might help. "A change is as good as a rest."