sick of my new friend

Options
I'm exercising on an elliptical for an hour six times weekly. despite my new mp3 the hour drags any suggestions?

Replies

• cecee27
    cecee27 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've always found that watching a TV show that you're totally addicted to or a movie works great!

So if your elliptical is near a TV give it a try! I'm big into NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds, (blood shows as my 4 yr old calls them :smile: )

I find that when I'm walking on the treadmill I'm too involved in the show I'm watching and usually end up going over on time/mileage! Better over than under I guess!

Good Luck To You!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help, I have this same problem.....I've been thinking about moving mine outside
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Find something you do love. Maybe just get outside and hit some hills! Or find something to read, although this can make your workout a little less intense in my opinion.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I usually either read while I'm on the machine or I'll turn the tv onto closed caption and watch tv, while listening to my ipod. seems to help most of the time anyway.
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I either wach tv or read. That helps me.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've always found that watching a TV show that you're totally addicted to or a movie works great!

So if your elliptical is near a TV give it a try! I'm big into NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds, (blood shows as my 4 yr old calls them :smile: )

I find that when I'm walking on the treadmill I'm too involved in the show I'm watching and usually end up going over on time/mileage! Better over than under I guess!

Good Luck To You!

This.
    I have a 1/8" extension cable that I can plug in directly to my AV receiver, so I can listen to the TV using my headphones. It's much better than waking up the entire neighborhood by blaring the TV, and it makes the experience much more engrossing...and since it looks like you have kids, you can watch movies/TV with more adult language and themes without worrying about them hearing words they probably shouldn't.

*edited because apparently I can't spell to save my life today.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I find if i don't pay attention to the machine i'm doing cardio on, that i go way slower and don't end up getting a good workout. Especially if i'm reading, i slow down completely!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I read, watch tv, and listen to music! But the reading is what really makes the time go by for me. Then again I never do an hour at one time. I split it up cause it would get to be very boring.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Good Luck To You!

This.
    I have a 1/8" extension cable that I can plug in directly to my AV receiver, so I can listen to the TV using my headphones. It's much better than waking up the entire neighborhood by blaring the TV, and it makes the experience much more engrossing...and since it looks like you have kids, you can watch movies/TV with more adult language and themes without worrying about them hearing words they probably shouldn't.

*edited because apparently I can't spell to save my life today.

That is a great idea! I will have to look for one because my elliptical is really noisy and I blare the volume to be able to hear anything!
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    our apartment's gym tv's seldom work and after the office closes you cant change the channels. the last time they were on it was qvc.who works out to that. I tried reading but i bounce so much i keep losing my place. I'll try again, if it's still a pain i'll split it up.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I watch TV while I'm on the elliptical. I got an entire series on DVD and watch that. It's an hour long show which really means 45 minutes of show and commercials. On DVD there aren't any commercials so I just do 45 minutes. But if I really need more exercise I just do two shows a day.

I also use my headphones attached to the AV receiver. It works great. That way I can get up at 5:30 and workout without waking up the house or after the kids are in bed at night. Whichever works better that day or do both.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I read fitness magazines and watch FitTV or the like. The articles and the enthusiasm keeps me pumping and my HRM keeps me honest!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I used to watch TV, but I tend to lose focus a lot especially with commercials. Who wants to work out to commercials?

Lately I've been using my iPod hooked up to some speakers and I blast it. It helps, but I feel like I need something to look at to take my mind off of working out. I was thinking of maybe putting up some posters that motivate me to stare at.

I dunno if this helps you, but I hope it does!
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    Try not doing a solid hour on the it. You will loose more weight and ton much faster if you add in some weight training and strength training/.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As with some of the others here I find that watching a good movie, tv show, or reading a good novel helps a LOT! It's all about doing what it takes to take your mind off of what you're doing and your focus on something else.
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i've got to remember my book tomarrow this really dragged tonight. why dont the tv's ever work sunlake apartments