How much is enough?

Options
My current workout is 4 different types of weighted exercises per muscle group (e.g. back, legs, arms, etc.). I perform each type of exercise for 3 sets with 15 reps each. Each time I go to the gym, I usually workout 2 differerent muscle groups. Is this too much, just enough or too little?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Might be enough, might not.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most programs I've seen list one exercise per muscle group rather than 4. You are doing 180 reps per muscle group (4 exercises x 45 reps) so you must be using fairly light weights and thus would be training for muscular endurance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're after...personally, I'd find an established program and work with that though...it will be far more efficient and all of your questions would be answered...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.

this.

That's like asking if running 3 miles three times a week is enough.

Well is it enough to maintain general fitness? sure
    Is it enough to train for a marathon? absolutely not.

so- context and perspective matter.
  • Jayyme99
    Jayyme99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So the answer, based on the previous responses, is to define why you are working out: weight loss, general fitness, building muscles, etc. Then, it sounds like you should hire a trainer to design a workout program to meet your specific goals.
    I had similar workout questions because I'm new to the gym. I ask friends who lift and they've been helpful in giving the details that help answer my questions.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Not enough data.
  • j_c_29
    j_c_29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im just planning to build both size and muscular endurance. Ive been bodybuilding for about 2 years but im not consistent to the gym until recently.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    j_c_29 wrote: »
    Im just planning to build both size and muscular endurance. Ive been bodybuilding for about 2 years but im not consistent to the gym until recently.

Then you need to get on a proven progressive lifting program written by an expert. Just going to the gym and doing whatever lifts pop in your head is not going to get you to your goal. Pretty much every good lifting program out there is listed in this thread.

Since you're not a beginner, I liked Layne Norton's PH3 program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1