Apps for exercising in fat burning zone?

Options
Hi does anyone have an iwatch app that helps you stay in the fat burn zone when exercising as I seem to be mainly in the fitness building zone and it would be great to alter my exercise while I am doing rather than find out after.

Any ideas would be great

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't fret over zones. Everything that makes your muscles and lungs work harder, makes you burn more energy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Zones and fuel substrate during exercise are pretty meaningless. Just exercise in whatever way you like and will do consistently. Fat loss comes from calorie deficit not fat burning zones. You could work out for 2 hours in the fat burning zone but if you eat more than you burn in a day, you will have a net storage of fat. It's all about the energy balance equation.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Focus on working out hard enough to improve your fitness level over time, not necessarily about being in a "fat burning zone." There's no guarantee that keeping your heart rate in one particular "zone" or at a certain level will burn more fat. Any cardio will burn calories and contribute at least a little to your deficit. The deficit being the key element to fat loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be in the fat burning zone...a lot of fitness pros don't even call it that anymore because it's very misleading...a lot of people simply refer to it as the recovery zone. The more work you put in, the more energy (calories) you expend.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There's a zone?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    There's a zone?

lol my thoughts exactly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Zones and fuel substrate during exercise are pretty meaningless. Just exercise in whatever way you like and will do consistently. Fat loss comes from calorie deficit not fat burning zones. You could work out for 2 hours in the fat burning zone but if you eat more than you burn in a day, you will have a net storage of fat. It's all about the energy balance equation.

There's no way I could possibly finish a century or marathon on mostly glycogen, but on fat, it's ... easy isn't the right word, let's go with doable. Fuel substrate is absolutely not meaningless.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There's a zone?

Yes. It works differently than people tend to hope for and assume, but if you ignore people's wishes and focus on reality, the far burning zone is a real thing and incredibly important in there right context (which is not dieting).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The question is why you want to be in the fat burning zone.

I don't have an app, but my Garmin does that. (It has some training applications, although it's actually more complicated than that and I personally think going by feel and pace are sufficient for most people even for training.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

There's no way I could possibly finish a century or marathon on mostly glycogen, but on fat, it's ... easy isn't the right word, let's go with doable. Fuel substrate is absolutely not meaningless.

Not meaningless in that context, but my guess would be that the OP is talking about weightloss/fat loss, not training...could be wrong, but a seasoned athlete probably wouldn't need to ask.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    App called Zones.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything above. Training by heartrate has many benefits, but I have never worried about slowing down in order to burn more fat!

If you want to train by HR, one easy way is to get a bluetooth HRM chest band that pairs to your phone. I like my Wahoo Fitness TICKR, but there are several manufacturers. It's more accurate than a wristband, if you don't mind wearing it.
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, the reason I ask is my iwatch HeartWatch suggests I spend almost 85% of my 75 minute work out in the build fitness bpm and only 10% in fatburn which is what I really want to do
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded Zones and this says I am doing more fat burning so looking forward to using this app tomorrow:-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Are you under the impression OP is asking for that reasonable or simple weight loss? I would think if there are training for a marathon, they would be knowledgeable about fuel substrates or would have specified. For weight loss zones and fuel substrates are meaningless.