Hungry

Options
I am so hungry. I smell everyone's food cooking in the microwave, and all I can think about is a juicy Whataburger and hot, fresh, greasy fries. Or tacos from Jack in the Box. This is very hard, please help. Make zucchini mouth watering for me.

Replies

• suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! If that were possible, none of us would be on this site! I do understand its hard. Think about something other than food - again, I totally get that it's difficult, but think about someone or something that you dislike or irritates you - makes my appetite disappear when I'm bugged at something. Good luck !
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try to undereat or deprive yourself. There are so many foods that are quite easy to fit into your calorie allowance while still being tasty and delicious. You should even be able to find ways to enjoy appropriate amounts of any food you like.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    That will always be difficult! And zucchini will probably never be mouthwatering haha. One thing to remember is that you can eat whatever you want and lose weight - it all comes down to calories and therefore the amount of the food you are eating. I regularly make pizza and french fries fit into my calories. You don't have to eat zucchini if you don't want to. :)

One thing that does help me when I am in a mindset of thinking like that is to go for a walk, even if it's just 10 minutes. That's usually enough to get me back in a mindset of being able to resist temptation and stop thinking about food. I've seen people suggest things like brushing your teeth to get your mouth all minty fresh, or doing a quick puzzle to get your mind on something else.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just remember why you are here and what you want to accomplish. How would eating the juicy burger and greasy fries affect your outcome? When I first started I would have the same problem with everyone in my office eating anything and everything. I would pack my lunches and eat what I brought knowing it was better for me and remembering my goal. Over time the fast food lost its appeal. I think if you just remember why you want your goal the same will happen for you. And yes eventually broccoli and spinach became something I craved over fast food :wink:
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thinly slice zucchini and bake in oven...it’ll make chips that seriously taste like potato chips!!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Just remember why you are here and what you want to accomplish. How would eating the juicy burger and greasy fries affect your outcome? When I first started I would have the same problem with everyone in my office eating anything and everything. I would pack my lunches and eat what I brought knowing it was better for me and remembering my goal. Over time the fast food lost its appeal. I think if you just remember why you want your goal the same will happen for you. And yes eventually broccoli and spinach became something I craved over fast food :wink:

This for sure!!!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of awesome and yummy food in between the extremes of Whataburger and zucchini. Eat them :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the smell of fast food makes my stomach turn.

im the only one who eats in the office, anyways so i dont care or even know what they eat lol

i had home made veggie soup yesterday and leftover chicken and sausage gumbo today.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

This for sure!!!!!

You know you're an MFPer when you choose arugula over pepperoni as a pizza topping. :D Hubby calls it my "salad pizza" :#:o
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I don't care for zucchini. I never eat it. Ever. I don't eat things I don't like no matter how "healthy" they are. My advise is to work that Wataburger or Taco Bell into your day every now and then. If the amount that fits your calorie goal doesn't keep you full long enough then eventually you will not want to eat it very often. But you still can have it if you think it is worth the calories. Don't be overly restrictive. Just eat foods you like that fit your goal.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I am so hungry. I smell everyone's food cooking in the microwave, and all I can think about is a juicy Whataburger and hot, fresh, greasy fries. Or tacos from Jack in the Box. This is very hard, please help. Make zucchini mouth watering for me.

There's nothing wrong with occasional fast food, there are ways to make those things fit in your diet (budget calories throughout the week, eat lighter during the day, eat at maintenance, etc). If you're hungry all the time though, you may be eating far less than you should (a lot of people think they have to go to 1200 cal to lose weight, for most that isn't necessary) or you may need to figure out what helps you feel full longer. Or you may not be drinking enough water. Hard to say without knowing more.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mind over matter....mind over matter....mind over matter ;) If it were only that easy. Don't give in to temptation!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    zucchini is gross lol. There are a lot of yummy foods that are not as high in calories as whataburger, and you can still have whataburger every now and then if you want.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to take the time and determine what treats are actually worth the calories and make sure I made room in my calorie budget to incorporate them. For me, things like donuts, soda, and most fast food are kinda meh and I discovered I was perfectly content not having them. But ice cream and homemade cookies? I definitely make sure there's room for those! :)
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bump up those calories. eat that Whataburger, just order less!. i wish i had one nearby.. :(
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself the same question when I'm in situations like that 'is it worth it?'. I can have a burger now but it's going to use to this many of my daily calories which means eating the burger will result no more snacks for the rest of day, a very light dinner and definitely no dessert. Some days I really want that burger and it is worth it to me, so I'll have it. Others I'd rather have a nice dinner and a piece of chocolate after.

I found over time that I eat less and less of fast of food because it's just not worth it to me. But that's a decision I made. Im not in a diet that says I can never have another cheeseburger in my life. I can have one every single day if I choose to, it just means I'm going to be very hungry every day. So not worth it. But I think that's what made the difference for me. Knowing that I can have it and not depriving myself. As soon as you tell yourself you can't have *that*, you want nothing but *that*.

And also zucchini are gross. ;)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp of being mostly grossed out by zucchini and eggplant. However, I also have the problem in that I like to grow them, and they produce copiously. So when they start cluttering up my counter in the summer (with all the patty pan and crookneck squash) here is what I do with them to make them absolutely freaking delicious:

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/soup/vegetable-soup/eggplant-and-zucchini-soup-caldo-de-calabacitas.html
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just gotta join in with your pals. But those burgers come cut in half, right? How about you give one half to a friend, skip the fries completely, and drink all the diet soda you want.

Zucchini. Yuck. Steam some broccoli, shake on some Spike seasoning. roast some asparagus in the oven, sprinkle with some real Parmesan cheese. Make your own tacos, experiment with adding pico de gallo to spice it up, I think it’s tasty and a little less calorific. Heck, invite your friends over for your very own Taco Tuesday.