Carb vs Calorie Range

Options
If I only pay attention to my carb totals on MFP and ignore when I go over my calorie range (but stay below my carb range) will I still lose weight? Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    if you go over your set calories no you wont lose as much weight as you set. You need to watch calories not carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    If I only pay attention to my carb totals on MFP and ignore when I go over my calorie range (but stay below my carb range) will I still lose weight? Has anyone tried this?

You will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit...so it would depend on how many calories you go over as your target is your deficit...a little over and you'd still be in a deficit, just a smaller one.

If you eat maintenance calories you will maintain regardless of carbs...if you eat in a surplus you will gain, regardless of carbs...if you eat in a calorie deficit you will lose, regardless of carbs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calories matter. Carbs don’t.

Nicely put :smiley:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go over my carbs, but so long as I'm under my calories, the weight comes off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have heard of so many people who eat a no carb diet of meats/cheese/beans/greens etc. that is high in calories and they still lose weight. Never watching their calorie intake, just their carb intake.

They're losing weight because they're in a calorie deficit...when you essentially eliminate and entire macro-nutrient, you're going to cut a lot of calories. Do keto or low carb is just a vehicle that some use to arrive at a calorie deficit...some still have to watch calories, while others will simply default to a calorie deficit by essentially eliminating and entire macro.

You don't have to count calories to lose weight...but you do have to be in a deficit. I'm cutting my winter fat right now...I do not count calories...I use other vehicles to arrive at my calorie deficit to cut weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have heard of so many people who eat a no carb diet of meats/cheese/beans/greens etc. that is high in calories and they still lose weight. Never watching their calorie intake, just their carb intake.
    If they lost weight, they were in a caloric deficit. Simple as that. You do not lose weight if you’re consuming more calories than you’re expending.

Keto is not magic and does not defy the laws of energy balance, despite what some of the woo peddlers and zealots may say.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If they lost weight, they were in a caloric deficit. Simple as that. You do not lose weight if you’re consuming more calories than you’re expending.

Keto is not magic and does not defy the laws of energy balance, despite what some of the woo peddlers and zealots may say.

Besides, beans and greens = carbs (maybe not a lot in terms of the greens, but still carbs).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

As others have said, whether they watch it or not, if they are losing weight they are in a calorie deficit.

Also, a no carb diet would basically be meat and oil. Cheese, beans, greens etc - all have carbs in them.

• LebaneseBear
    LebaneseBear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's a strain of keto dieting that says "eat fat to satiety"; those who follow that line of thought find themselves stalling, because in the end, calories is king (plus they go a bit low on their protein, which is very satiating as well).
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're saying "do carbs make you fat"? The answer is no.