Potential Tendinitis in Shoulder, Want to Keep Current Exercises. Should I?

Options
I think I may have reactivated tendinitis in my shoulder from several years ago. It hurts quite a bit to raise my arm to the side and back. I want to keep on with my current program that contains exercises like benching, overhead press, lateral raises, etc. that give me mild discomfort while doing so. Is it better just to cut these out for a month or so to let it heal or to keep going?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Need to give it a rest and time to recover.
    Add swimming to your workout. It will improve mobility. It will also really work your core.
    I habe degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. It doesn't bother me a bit since I started swimming a lot.
    Before that, if i moved my arm back to far is get a spike of Pain about 7 in a 10 scale. It would wake me up at night too. Could not play tennis or throw a ball.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think I may have reactivated tendinitis in my shoulder from several years ago. It hurts quite a bit to raise my arm to the side and back. I want to keep on with my current program that contains exercises like benching, overhead press, lateral raises, etc. that give me mild discomfort while doing so. Is it better just to cut these out for a month or so to let it heal or to keep going?

I've had my own experience with similar pain and others have come to me with it as well. For me I was able to improve it with mobility work and some strengthening exercises. The shoulder is a sensitive subject, so take care in however you decide to proceed. Keep in-mind the pain is telling you something is wrong, just need to determine the severity of the problem. It's hard to say without seeing you in-person, so I'll keep it general.

Understand the level of discomfort you're having. Something mild and uncomfortable could be a sign of poor shoulder mobility, which can be actively worked on. Also, since you do bench-press you might need some improvement in your form as that could be causing problems as well. Improved mobility and form could go a long way for you. If something more sharp and debilitating, you definitely need a doctor and MRI.

Either way, you can't go wrong with finding a Sports Medicine doc or one that specializes in shoulder and knee injuries. Just be smart about what you do, a sever injury can impact your overall lifestyle.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues as well. My PT told me, "If it hurts, don't do it." You can make a bad problem worse.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues as well. My PT told me, "If it hurts, don't do it." You can make a bad problem worse.

Hopefully your PT said that and followed-up with, "let's work on making it better and try to understand why this issue originated in the first place."
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    IF it's tendonitis, rest is indicated. A week or two off from the weights isn't going to set you back. You're in this for the long haul.
  • fcorbalis
    fcorbalis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rest alone may not solve the tendonitis. Use of a stretch band focusing on the eccentric portion of the movement is often necessary for movements such as "draw the sword". This is an excellent resource:. http://stevenlow.org/overcoming-tendonitis/
  • eptanubrata
    eptanubrata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it is tendonitis, the two posts above mine are indicated. In the acute (inflammatory) phase, you'd benefit from rest. This doesn't mean stop everything you're doing, but repetitive movements especially into the directions that are painful for you should be avoided. Once the pain has started to subside, you can start incorporating some stretching and some eccentric movements. Eccentric exercises are especially beneficial in recovering from tendonitis and preventing a recurrence in the future.
    If you have access to physiotherapy, I'd highly recommend checking in with a PT. Unresolved tendonitis can often cause secondary complications like bursitis, frozen shoulder, etc. It's better to address it early and recover quickly than try to push through and cause worse problems.