Work long hours and daily exercising...

Anyone have any tips on keeping motivated when you work long hours and want to keep at it?

Replies

• ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Fitness wise, go in the morning. Take it from someone who used to commute 3-hours daily, gym for 3-hours and work an 8-9 hour in-office job. It is worth getting out of bed super early to be able to end your day and just go home and relax. And if you don't check it off the list first thing in the morning, it's really easy to put working out at the very bottom of the priority list.

Exactly what I would say. I get up and start doing it before I have a chance to talk myself out of it. I then feel great about myself for the rest of the day.
  • WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Pre workout
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    edited January 2018
    Find a way of working things into your day that works for you, I prefer to do my workouts in the evenings, I will never, ever be one of those people who gets up early for exercise, it just isn't for me.

You don't need a massive amount of time to keep your hand in fitness-wise there are all sorts of ways you can make it easier to fit in:
    • If you're using a gym go to one on your route home from/ on your way to work and take your gear with you to work.
    • If you're working out at home, leave your workout gear out on the bed ready for when you get home.
    • Workout in your lunch hour, either at a gym, or if you have the facilities at work (My office has showers) get out for a run or a walk.
    • Make exercising part of your commute if you can - I walk to/from work (4 miles of walking per day) but you could find other ways to incorporate it if you use public transport or drive, getting off a stop earlier, parking further away, walking a longer route from your stop to your workplace.
    • If you're desk-bound, try and find a way to get up from your desk once an hour.

I also found once I started eating right and exercising regularly that I have far more energy at the end of the day than I used to so it doesn't seem as much of a chore to do a 20 minute workout or 30 minute run. If I am feeling a little out of sorts I take a caffeine supplement around 2/3pm (can't stand coffee and don't like energy drinks) and that tides me over until I get it done.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Just find a routine that works for you. Whether it's in the morning or on your way home from work or at home, just write it down and put it up on your fridge or somewhere you can see it.

Like for me I lift Mon-Wed-Fri . Tuesday is rest day, Sunday is tennis with the wife, Saturday is usually chore day (sometimes it can be a decent workout), and Thursday is whatever I want (swimming, core work, stretching, rowing machine, etc.). If I know I have to work late Mon-Wed-Fri I will go before work. If I can't hit the gym I'll figure out how I can get a workout in from home.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    I work a 9/10 hour desk job... I am not a morning person so getting up any earlier than 6:15am is not happening for me so what I do is eat lunch at my desk then take my 30 minute lunch break and walk 2 miles M-F... M & W nights I take a 7pm Zumba class and on Saturday mornings I take a circuit boxing class. I also have a treadmill at home so after dinner most night I will jump on that thing for 30 minutes as well or on the weekends. In the beginning I had to beg myself to get exercise in after working a 9/10 day. But after I started doing it and eating better, I had more energy and found that it was more of a routine than a chore to get it done. Oh and I drink a ton of water through out the day so I have to go to the ladies room often. I always go to the furthest one away and I usually do squats or walk in place with high knees a few minutes. A little activity when I can steal it goes a LONG way. Good luck!!!
  • AdinaRin
    AdinaRin Posts: 12 Member
    If you can, choose to go in the morning. I work long and stressful hours at a surgeons office and when I get home, I just want to relax. I also find my energy levels and strength is completely zapped after work, and I have trouble sleeping if I use pre-workout or try to workout at night. I save my heavy or intensive workouts (legs/full body circuits) for Saturdays, Sundays, and every other Friday night. For reference, I have to be at the office by 6:30am monday-friday.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2018
    I also work out in the morning. For the past two years, since changing jobs, was struggling to fit exercise in until it clicked that the only way to guarantee I'll get it in, is to get it in first thing in the morning. In my case that means getting up at 5:15 for a 30 min daily workout at home, but I know others who get up earlier.

Another thing that has helped greatly was to build in walking in the commute. I get off/on the bus in a way that I have to walk 20 minutes before and again after work. It has become so enjoyable that I have rarely missed a day - during real downpours or for a couple of weeks when it was -20 Celsius before the chill factor. I just wrap up warm.

Generally you need to find a way to build it into your day and make it a habbit. The commute or the lunchbreak, before or after work, and the weekends - there are plenty of options, you'll figure our eventually which one works for you long term.
  • BrianString
    BrianString Posts: 17 Member
    I'm currently a contractor in Afghanistan working 12/7s. Ibhate waking up early in the morning to work out, but also fight the z monster when i get off work. The thing that has helped me out is a good pre-workout drink. I get off work, take the drink and know that if i don't go work out, i will never get to sleep.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Wow thanks for the tips everyone!
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    I work 12 hour shifts (desk job). Because we're allowed to eat at our desk, I take myself down to our gym and workout during my hour lunch break.