For the women out there...Free weights or machines?

Options

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I use both
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    We taking the Title IX thing a little too far? Seriously, women get weights for free....nope, never mind, totally misunderstood this thread....
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just to warn you though: You will gain some water weight when you first start lifting. It is very important to take pics and measurements before you start so that you can use those for additional progress markers.

Looking at your diary, you do a good job eating back your calories and getting enough protein, but you may need to bump your cals after a while. 1280 net isn't much depending on your height.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Free weights all day... because I can't do strong lifts on machines....
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Free weights as a goal, but if you've never weight trained, start with machines.

Machines don't give you the same options in terms of hitting all the muscles, but for the novice it is way harder to injure yourself.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    free weights
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use free weights and would never turn back!
  • missprisslifts
    missprisslifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Similar to most others here, free weights all the way. I used to spend hours using the machines, low weight, high reps. But a bit over a year ago I've become converted to free weights, with some machines only for isolation work (eg. hamstrings, triceps).

Best advice when starting is to copy what other people are doing! I used to (surreptitiously) look at the bodies I admired and how they trained, then just copied them.

Try not to be nervous or intimidated! Most people in the weights area, if they take it seriously, will be concentrating on their own form. But honestly, there is nothing more inspiring than seeing someone brand new to the gym giving things a crack! ;)
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Free weights. Machines are to be used sparingly and to finish off muscles with some isolation work. Lift heavy, with good form and you'll love the results you get.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting. Research and pick one.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I do both, but free weights are better.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I like a combination. Free weights for overall strength and machines for isolation work. I also like using resistance bands and TRX straps.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Free weights. It requires far more auxiliary stabilizing muscles to lift a free weight than the same exercise with a machine. You'll get a better, more comprehensive workout with free weights than you ever will with machines. There are times and places for machines but overall, free weights are superior in terms of fitness.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally Free Weights!!
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Free weights... though I do use the pull up assist machine. I need it until I can do pull ups and chin ups on my own.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Free weights.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Free weights and check out this website called fitness blender, it's free and the two trainers have awesome workouts with lots of details
  • rebeccachipper
    Options
    If you're a beginner, machines. Then move on to free weights.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have never used free weights or machines before ( I know that sounds crazy). Not sure where to start. Trainers are not an option for the time I am able to go to the gym (later in the evening). Any suggestions?

Bench press, squats, military press, bent rows, deadlifts, then bodyweight stuff like pull up, chin up, crunches, bench dips... there's so much, many more that I haven't listed... google them, there are youtube videos re: form, etc... go slow, practice, get the form down.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the other posts...free weights definitely.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Gotta be the same old answer free weights are way better! and you can also buy some for home too that don't take up a whole room! :bigsmile: