What's the best way to increase metabolism

I have lately added tons of green veggies and fish oil pills. Mainly eating...
Eggs
Weight watchers bread
Brown rice
Onions
Spinach
Broccoli
Zucchini
Green peppers
Cucumber

Chicken, ground turkey, fish

Drinking water, coffee

Usually two milk in the morning and then almond milk if needed extra coffee

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    There's no way to increase your metabolism. And unless you've damaged it (which is rare and only happens under specific circumstances) there's no need to 'fix' it anyway. What makes you think you need to do so?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Nothing you eat is going to do what you're asking. You have to move more to expend more calories.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    There's no way to increase your metabolism. And unless you've damaged it (which is rare and only happens under specific circumstances) there's no need to 'fix' it anyway. What makes you think you need to do so?

Nothing makes me think I need to, I am losing lbs.

Just thought if I were to add green tea or beans, rich protein, iron. They may increase metabolism...

I burn way more then enough calories then I intake
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Building muscles would be the only way - strength training. Muscles burn calories even when not being worked.
  • Wingsont84
    Building muscles would be the only way - strength training. Muscles burn calories even when not being worked.

That's on the menu to do, build muscle. Been a rough year that past, fallen down. But when I was thier and at it felt great
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2018

Even that has a very minimal effect. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day, a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day. So you get an extra 4 calories per day out of every pound of muscle you add (assuming you don't lose any fat, because then you'd lose 2 calories per day from every pound of fat lost).

So hypothetically, adding 25 pounds of muscle (which would be a huge increase) would burn an extra 100 calories per day. But most people won't add 25 pounds of muscle to their frame in their entire adult life. And if you lost 10 pounds of fat in the process of adding all that muscle, you'd now only be burning 80 calories per day more than you originally were.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    As to the question in the OP, there is no food/drink which will appreciably increase your metabolism. Protein has a higher TEF than carbs or fats (Google TEF to read about it), but in the context of your overall diet it's a negligible difference.
  • Wingsont84
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Even that has a very minimal effect. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day, a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day. So you get an extra 4 calories per day out of every pound of muscle you add (assuming you don't lose any fat, because then you'd lose 2 calories per day from every pound of fat lost).

So hypothetically, adding 25 pounds of muscle (which would be a huge increase) would burn an extra 100 calories per day. But most people won't add 25 pounds of muscle to their frame in their entire adult life. And if you lost 10 pounds of fat in the process of adding all that muscle, you'd now only be burning 80 calories per day more than you originally were.

So that we're decrease your calories comes in?
    Once you hit a stand still on your weight loss...?

• Wingsont84
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    As to the question in the OP, there is no food/drink which will appreciably increase your metabolism. Protein has a higher TEF than carbs or fats (Google TEF to read about it), but in the context of your overall diet it's a negligible difference.

This actually helps, thanks