Running & carbs? (Macros?)

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
I've been tired and irritable lately. Blamed it on lack of sleep, but looking at it, the time is sleep hasn't actually changed. I'm constantly eating, so lack of calories can't be the culprit either. But when I felt instantly better after eating a banana today, I started wondering whether my avoiding carbs is starting to take a toll in conjunction with the increase in my running.

So, the question is really: how many carbs to you guys eat? I aim at 30% protein, 40% carbs and 30% fat, but usually only hit about 20-30% carbs.

I know I have to start logging (better) :blushing: but I am just curious whether it could make that much of a difference?
I run about 30-35k a week, split into 2 short, 1 medium and one long runs.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, there has been some fairly convincing research that suggests a link between carbs and serotonin production

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/serotonin-what-it-is-and-why-its-important-weight-loss

I shoot for about 60:20:20 (carbs/protein/fat) which still gives me over 1g of protein per kg body weight based on 2500 cal / day.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    If you are running a lot then perhaps you should take in more potassium? Drink a low sodium v8 after your run and see how you feel. And bananas are also an excellent source of potassium and would give you some extra carbs if you think you need them.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If you are running a lot then perhaps you should take in more potassium? Drink a low sodium v8 after your run and see how you feel. And bananas are also an excellent source of potassium and would give you some extra carbs if you think you need them.

You know, funny you should say that about bananas, I have taken to eaten one before I go out for a run, they definitely are a fix for energy!

They are also, as you say, a wonderful source of Potassium too, just ensure however, that the banana isn't on the greenish side, the greener it is, the less Potassium it contains and if it is unripe, but eatable (some people like them like that), then they contain virtually no Potassium. The darker the banana peel, the more Potassium it contains.

I used to like them when they were just leaving the green stage, but after I found that out, I only eat them fully ripe now and if the peel has those brown spots on it? that is when the banana contains a tons of Potassium and is at its best for eating.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I always feel better when I keep my carbs closer to 45-50% while race training. And then I up my carbs to 50-60% for the week leading up to the race (no night before carb loading for me, ever, even on half marathons).

I get really tired and irritable when my carbs are too low. I had a doctor prescribed 20% and under carb diet for six weeks and it was miserable. I was so happy to be able to get back to normal after that six weeks was up.

Some people do better with carbs than others, and I happen to be someone that thrives on carbs. Even when I'm not race training, I still don't let 'em drop lower than 40-45% otherwise I get grouchy and my weight stalls.

Also remember that if you're running and, subsequently, sweating a lot, don't stress about your sodium levels. I stressed over keeping my sodium around 1500 until I realized that I actually feel better when I don't even bother watching it and just let it do whatever it does. I also do keep my potassium up as well as drinking 15-18 cups of water per day (down from the 18-21 I was drinking while keeping my sodium low o_O Live and learn though).