Good fats take me over!

Options
I eat nuts every day and avocado a few times a week but they take me beyind my daily calorific goals and I'm trying to lose some weight. What do other people do, just leave the good fat items off of your daily record to get a more accurate report of your calorie consumption? Thanks in advance

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You need to record the calories for everything that has calories and good fats have calories too. A lot of them. Fats have 9 calories per gram no matter what type they are.

If you are aiming for a certain number of good fats, you need to shift your calories over from other fats or proteins or carbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I work them into my plan, just like my 'bad' fats, my proteins, and my carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MazDolly wrote: »
    I eat nuts every day and avocado a few times a week but they take me beyind my daily calorific goals and I'm trying to lose some weight. What do other people do, just leave the good fat items off of your daily record to get a more accurate report of your calorie consumption? Thanks in advance

The smaller the deficit the slower the weight loss. Up to you if that's worth it to be able to eat more fat?

I tweaked my macros to adequate protein and slightly less carbs so I could eat more fat, but I still make sure I got my calorie goal to remain in a deficit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    MazDolly wrote: »

I don't understand.... You have to make your food fit your calorie goal if you want to achieve your goals. You can eat what you like, but if you have specific goals, that require restricting calories, eating food but not recording it is just holding you back.

It's like saying to your partner, "we need to save money for our holiday", start writing everything down to be more accountable, but absentmindedly "forget" about the 4 coffees you buy a day...
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    AS others have replied, weight loss is about calories in v calories out. If you have entered your statistics into mfp, you will have been given a calorie target to aim for. In addition, you can add some extra calories, if you do additional exercise. This is the daily calorie target, that you must aim for to lose weight. Eating more calories per day, will alter your rate of loss. Depending on how many calories you go over this target, will then mean you either lose weight slower, maintain current weight or even gain weight, if you go over this target and wipe out any deficit.

You asked how
    "to get a more accurate report of your calorie consumption?"
    The best way to do this is to weigh and log, as accurately as possible, everything you eat and drink. It is important to aim for a healthy well balanced diet as well, for health rather than just weight loss. If you keep accurate logs for a couple of weeks, you can then look back over your food journal. Find ways to cut out certain foods or make some swaps to help reduce your daily calorie intake, in a way that suits you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! If it weren't for nuts and olive oil I'd probably have a hard time eating enough calories to maintain my weight. It's a constant struggle. I just eat less of other things and never eat as much nuts or olive oil as I'd like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I work them into my plan, just like my 'bad' fats, my proteins, and my carbs.

This.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It sounds like you're thinking that because they're "good" fats you don't need to count the calories? Did I read that wrong?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're thinking that because they're "good" fats you don't need to count the calories? Did I read that wrong?

If you read it wrong, so did I.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If she wasn't counting the calories, how would she know they put her beyond her goal?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

If you read it wrong, so did I.

same....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I replaced carbs with fats.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's easy to overconsume fats because they are so calorie dense. You don't need to cut them out but you may need to learn to moderate portions - a serving of nuts is smaller than you would expect and so is a serving of avocado. Then fit them into your goals by eating less of other foods.

MFP's suggested macros don't work for me, I have mine adjusted to eat more fat and protein.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's easy to overconsume fats because they are so calorie dense. You don't need to cut them out but you may need to learn to moderate portions - a serving of nuts is smaller than you would expect and so is a serving of avocado. Then fit them into your goals by eating less of other foods.

MFP's suggested macros don't work for me, I have mine adjusted to eat more fat and protein.

If they're putting her over her calorie goal, she needs to cut them out, or she needs to cut something else out to make room. her post seems to suggest that the calories don't count if they come from "good fat"