Yoga with Adriene and calorie burn

Options
I'm planning to start incorporating daily yoga with my workouts because I get lots of back pain and I'm worried I'll injure myself with stronglifts when it gets really heavy if I don't work on my posture /core.

I 've just looked up 20 min of yoga on exercises and it's only 88 calories,is that it?
Do you track it on mfp or fitbit or not bother tracking at all ?

Also to anyone who is doing yoga did you find it did help with back pain and your workouts ?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I started doing 15 mins of yoga last year along with some beginner strength training, it definitely helped strengthen my back and made me more flexible. I have had very little back problems since I started lifting/stretching more. There is an option to track mine on my Garmin, it's around 30 cals for 10 mins I get.

Another thing I found helped significantly was getting my gait checked, I found that I was over-pronating and required insoles to correct it. That had also been aggravating my back injury.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for a lot of things - especially mobility. I've done it occasionally, mostly before I started strength training. (I started with strong lifts and then switched to starting strength, which is better for me at my age).

But, if you are doing strong lifts, the lifts themselves, particularly the squat with proper form, will do far more strengthening your core and help to prevent injury, especially if your form is correct.

I have some lower and thoracic back issues myself - no herniated discs or anything, but as you get older, it's common to have bulging discs, even asymptomatic. Lifting in those programs have improved my back, not injured them. The caveat, of course, is to know if your body sends a signal, such as an abrupt sharp pain. If you get that, back off. Standard muscle soreness, which can come on time to time is no big deal. In the long run though, the point is that strength training helps prevent injury. Getting weaker encourages injury. You pick. :smile:
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had SPD while pregnant and since then I tend to get shooting pains down my side and lower back pain. I want to get strong and yes you are right, lifting with proper form should not cause injury I guess as I am relatively new to it (use to lift before but first time following structured programme)just want to make sure I can keep progressing .
    Thanks for your input.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yoga is definitely not a calorie burner, I don't even bother incorporating it into my daily burn. Strength training doesn't burn a lot either, I only count cardio calories usually.

As for the yoga, I find it helps with my muscle soreness, and back pain from sitting at a desk all day, but like someone mentioned, the best thing that will help with any back pain is getting the lifts down pat form wise at a low weight and then taking it slow as you increase the weight. Don't sacrifice form for weight in your lifts. See if you could get a trainer to help with your form and make sure you are doing everything right before you start getting heavy!